Review by Doodleheimer

Reviewed: 08/04/01 | Updated: 05/20/02

WHAT? I beat the game already?

Kirby 64 is the sequel to the SNES classic Kirby Super Star. New features have been added, but the game is still a 2D platformer.

Game Play-
7/10

The game is INCREDIBLY easy. You have to suck up enemies and steal their powers. You can now combine two powers together to make a better one. There are many combinations, very few of which are really interesting. You also have to find crystal shards in levels. Some of them may be at the top of a ceiling, may be attained from a boss, standing in plain sight, or only accessible with the right power combination. As I said, the game is very easy.

Control-
8/10

The controls are really confusing at first, but when you get used to them, it's easy to use. It took me a while to fully learn the button combo for inhaling enemies and stealing their powers, then getting another enemies' powers. It's a lot harder than it looks.

Graphics-
5/10

I would've expected better from the N64. The backgrounds constantly shift spaces, all of the objects are jagged and confusing, and there are minor errors. I think that the game would’ve been better in 3D. The backgrounds and polygons are pretty messed up. The same company that developed this made Super Smash Bros., and that had beautiful 2D graphics. It seems as though the game was rushed. The backgrounds really weren’t good. The game uses the same monsters again.

Audio-
6/10

The music is barely noticeable in some levels, but not in others. Half of the music is good, half of the music is bad. Some of it is quiet and somber, then it’s loud and big. The sound effects haven’t changed a bit since KSS. The best track in this game probably has to be the boss music.

Enoyability-
6/10

The game makes a good rental for the weekend, but nothing more after that. Don’t plan on buying this game. 7 hours is all it took me to beat this. But, I’m really good at most games. 10 hours of fun is about right. Good rental, bad purchase.

Score-32/50

Overall-
6/10

Rent, not buy. The easiest and shortest Kirby game ever is this. Except for Kirby’s Avalanche, which I beat very quickly. If you want a good Kirby game, play Kirby Super Star. That aught to keep you busy for a long time. The game lacks on difficulty, replay, and imagination.