Review by xXhakuhyouXx

Reviewed: 11/09/10

A pink ball of fluff full of power!

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards is a very cute, entertaining game about a crystal being broken to shards. The shards, when swallowed, make people evil. Your duty is to get them back! It actually sounds EXACTLY like Inuyasha, now that I think about it.

The story of how Kirby came around is actually quite strange. While creating the basis of the game, the Nintendo workers used a little pink blob as the main character's sprite. But, he was so cute that they decided to keep him! Then, they named him after a Nintendo employee. And then, Kirby was born.

Graphics 10/10 - The graphics are SO colorful! And so appealing! They're like eye-candy! They look childish in some parts, but that's part of the appeal and the taste of the game. I love the fluent motion of the sprites and the attacks!

Audio 10/10 - The music is very nice! It's got great melodies, jumpy rhythms, and it fits in so well with the environments it's played in. It was catchy enough that I sat on that sound test screen all night as a kid, just playing the music. I also love the sound effects, like when Kirby is trying to swallow things- he sounds like a vacuum!

Gameplay 10/10 - I love the gameplay! It's got this weird side-scrolling angle, like it's set to be a 2-D game, but it's turned at just the right angle that it's 3-D. The boss fights are circular rooms in a 2-D angle, but with the 3-D graphics. It's confusing to explain, but when you see it, you'll realize how genius the idea is! There are also some mini-games (They don't interfere with normal gameplay- they're just on the menu if you want to play them). There are only 4, but they're fun at parties and alone alike!

Controls 9/10 - The controls are nearly perfect, but there's one little problem- you can only control Kirby's direction with the D-Pad, and not the joystick! It's a half 3-D game! We should be allowed to use it! Trying to control a 3D game with the D-Pad is a real pain in the butt... you can never get Kirby to move fast enough because it's not tilting a pressure sensitive joystick, it's just pressing a non-pressure sensitive button.

Overall 10/10 - Other than the flaw in the controls, this game is perfect. It's a must-buy game if you have a Nintendo 64! I've had it for 6 years now, and it STILL entertains me!

Product Release: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (US, 06/26/00)