Review by MBat

Reviewed: 07/24/00 | Updated: 07/24/00

Great game! Great new powers!

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards is a great game! With it's replay value and great gameplay, you can play it for weeks on end! The game has very few weak-points about it. How good it is a real surprise!

Game Play- What more can I say then awesome? The game is extremely fun, and with a few mini-games in store. The mingames get harder as you beat the easier modes! There are 4 modes for each mini-game, Easy, Normal, Hard, and Intense. I suggest hard mode for most games. The best mini-game, in my opinion, is the Checker-Board-Chase. You are on a checker board... and you chase... your opponents and you zap squares away in your mission to knock them all down off da cliff!

To the regular game. It is great. It is very fun. The powers you pick up can be very cool, or cruel. Mixing powers can make great powers, like the drill, or pathetic powers like the melting ice... The control is perfect, unless you play too much Super Smash Brothers... ^.^;;; The jump buttons from Smash Brothers are the release power buttons in Kirby 64. And it also LOOKS a lot like Smash Brothers. Heh heh heh. That's why I give this part a 9 out of 10.

Story- Well, some people would think that it is too kiddish... but I find it entertaining.

The story is about a young fairy that was on well, a fairy planet. ^^;; Suddenly, the planet is shaded over by a dark cloud. The cloud was the Dark Matter. An evil force that tried to capture the planet's crystal. One fairy, Ribbon, grabbd the crystal and tried to escape. Three clouds of Dark Matter chased after her. She was hit by them, and lost the crystal. The crystal shattered into may pieces, on many different planets. Ribbon crash landed onto earth, landing right on top of a stargazing Kirby. Kirby agrees to help her find the crytal shards, thus, the beggining and title of the game.

I give the story a 10 out of 10 for the funniness.

Audio/ Video- This is what really hurts this game. The videos are hillarious, all right, but the sound there is lacking. There are no voices from the entire game. The sound in gamepklay is very great. I love the music. But, none the less, i must rate it fairly. I give it a 7 out of 10.

Replayability- Very much. The game is great! You just want to keep playing! 9mini-games really add value to it.) 10 out of 10.

To rent, or to buy, that is the question. I say buy. It is a fairly long game, and you'll need a lot of time to find all the shards.

Over-all I give this game a 9, for the great gameplay, story, and replayability. Trust me, if you love Kirby and great video games, you'll love this one!