Review by MasterReviewer

Reviewed: 07/13/00 | Updated: 07/13/00

The first Kirby game for the N64 is nothing but a disappointment.

Kirby fans will be totally disappointed with the latest Kirby Game, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. This game is geared for younger players and not the regular die-hard Kirby Fan. This really disappointed me as I was really anticipating the release of this game. However once I got it, it did not live up to my expectations.

Graphics 7/10

The Graphics are average, to say the least. The levels are designed poorly and the character detail is just horrendous. Kirby looks OK, but most of the graphics are fuzzy and NOT detailed. To sum it up, they can done a much better job utilizing the Nintendo 64 Engine for this game.

Sound/Music 4/10

Ow..help me! The Sound F/X and Music of this game are just plain bad! They don't add any excitement to the game, it's just that stupid little tinny, repetitive Music playing OVER and OVER again. Defintely MUTE your TV when playing this game.

Control 10/10

One thing that shines in this game is the control. It's incredibily easy to control Kirby. It has a totally innovative interface that younger players will take a liking to. However, to gaming veterans the controls will seem very old. Nothing new has been implicated.

Storyline 3/10

Worst STORYLINE in a KIRBY GAME! Kirby must go to different planets and collet Crystal Shards to help save the world. Ahhh, horrible crap! Doesn't catch your attention, it's like an identical twin to Yoshi's ISLAND! I say stick to SNES Kirby. Way more fun, and way more addicting.

Replay Value 6/10

They have some nice multiplayer modes, but the game is just too kiddish that after a while you'll just forget about the game. Trust me, play the SNES games and you'll much more fun than this!

Overall 4/10

Looks like HAL screwed up another classic game series. Too bad that they seem to screw up everything! Super Mario RPG 2, and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. Trust me, this game isn't even worth a rent. Just wait for the next Kirby and pray it's not developed by HAL!

Rating:   2.0 - Poor