Review by TubeRacer

Reviewed: 07/09/02 | Updated: 07/09/02

One point for every dollar it costs to buy. (Sweet deal!)

I've always been a fan of Lucas Films, but I could never get too excited about any Lucas Arts product. I've always known them for creating very average games that will get them money without putting too much effort into their product. But now my faith in them is restored.

For an N64 game, the graphics are quite impressive, and definitely take full potential of my not-so-oftenly used N64 Expansion Pak. I can tell a lot of work has gone into making each pod racer look identical to those shown in the movies, including those you probably never even saw/noticed. What I liked best was the classic pod racing course that was shown in the movie. They have one in the game that is incredibly similar to the real one as shown in the movie. The whole experience makes you feel as if you're in your own Star Wars world, but not in a wussy kid way.

Audio: 5/10
They really could have worked harder on this aspect of the game. The music is sparse and dull. There's a title screen theme, which is simply average quality, if even that good. Then there's one song you'll hear on the final lap of any track. It's always the same, and it gets old. There's no music during play except for on the final lap, so that's pretty much it as far as music goes. The sound effects make up for the poor music job. They sound very Star Wars-ish, which may be somewhat cheesy at times, but they're pretty high quality in my opinion.

The gameplay and fun factor are nearly perfect. It's realistic, in a non-realistic science fiction way, which is good. There's a good difficulty barrier that will not allow you to beat this game immediately, and you'll have to figure out some shortcuts and tactics to break this barrier. The high speed action makes you feel a nice sensation of real racing fever while you are making split-second decisions to avoid screwing up and crashing. The controls are overall quite simple and easy to conform to, although they may get you confused at times when you're trying to do a lot of things at once, if you understand what I'm saying...

The multiplayer mode is fun, but not as much as I would have hoped. It's only 2 Players, and the level quality is reduced to fit even 2 players in. I would also have liked a ''GP'' mode with 2 players, but I guess fitting in all the other racers with a second player is beyond the N64's capabilities. Oh well, that's what GameCube is for.

Replay Value: 7/10
Trying to unlock every pod racer and level will take some time, but after you explore all those, and have fun with the cheats (which are indeed quite fun), there's not too much left to do. You could start over, and try to go through with a different pod racer and try to get it upgraded more or something, but that's not really too entertaining. But still, it's fun to occasionally return to the game to reenter the world of SWE1 and escape the drudgery which is life. But you can do that with a lot of games, so... meh.

I only bought this game because it was $10 new at Wal-Mart. It's definitely worth ten bucks, which you can buy it for. Or you could pay half the price for a few days of rent, but I'd say this game's definitely worth the cheap price it costs. Go get it. If you want, that is. *Shrugs*