Review by Nemesis

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 07/05/02

The fastest racing game ever.

Even though I thought that Star Wars Episode 1 the movie wasn't all that great and was a bit overhyped, the pod racing scene was probably one of the best in a Star Wars movie ever. So when this game was released, I rushed out to buy it, and I wasn't disappointed. This is one of the fastest racing games ever, and a must buy game indeed. It's basically what WipEout 64 wasn’t: A good game.

Graphics: (9/10)- Racer's graphics engine is amazing, and with an expansion pack in place, it gets even better. It runs at a very fast frame rate and in a medium to high resolution with the pack. But that's the problem. Some gamers probably don't own an expansion pack, and therefore don't want to spend another thirty bucks on one, just to play this game in all of its glory. I suggest buying one if you're going to buy this game, or else the graphics suffer severely.

Sound: (8/10)- I thought the sound was okay. The special effects and voices are great, as are the pod racers' engines sounds. I also love the theme music, but only wish there were more of it. The music only starts to get going on the last lap of the race, and it should play for the whole race.

Control: (8/10)- Controlling you pod racer is outstanding, thanks to tight control and well-placed button assignments. The handling of each vehicle varies, yet they are all very easy to maneuver. The only problem with the control is that once you start to go really fast, it can be tough to control your pod, because of the speed, obviously.

Gameplay: (9/10)- This is a very polished game. Every aspect of it reflects the scene from the movie, and it works. It plays very well, even with the intense speed. Racing fans will not be disappointed with Racer. It even has upgradable pods, where you can choose either to buy new parts, or used parts for a good price. This adds some depth to the cart.

Replay: (9/10)- Even though Racer is only a two-player game, it's fun enough to keep you coming back for more. The multiple tracks and twenty-plus racers will provide you with enough gameplay time to keep you happy for a while. Its upgradable pods should also keep you busy for a while.

Buy/Rent- If you love Star Wars, or fast, fun racing, this is a no-brainer. But if you just want a racing fix until a more technical racer comes out, then a rental should do just fine.