Review by DrDoak2001

Reviewed: 04/16/01 | Updated: 04/16/01

F-Zero-X was better, but this is good, too.

Some people really, really loved this game, but for some reason, it just didn't appeal to me at all. Sure, it contained great graphics, a cool plot, awesome cinema, and fabulous sound, but these major turn-ons had no effect on me! Maybe I'm just weird, but I can't give this game a nine, or ten, like so many other gamers out there. It will simply have to settle for a solid eight. Let's move on to the review. We might learn something.

STORY: 8/ FEEL THE FORCE

The Story is pretty cool. It's one of the few racing games out there that actually has a story, in the first place. You are a brave, young lad by the name of Anakin Skywalker. (Other characters can be used, too, but Anakin is the main one). You must prove yourself to the great lord, Jabba the Hutt, by completing several deadly tracks in first place. As you campaign through these tracks, you will have to cringe as your fellow opponents crash and burn, without the slightest pang of remorse. Watch out for the cheating tactics of Sebulba! Avoid the incapacitating heat of Tatooine, skid through the slippery tracks of a frozen mountain, and more! Always remember, though, thousands are watching you. You are the only human with reflexes capable of competing with mind-boggling aliens. Do not let the human race down! On to the next category.

GRAPHICS: 9 /LIVIN' LIFE LUSH

Very good graphics are one of the huge pluses in this game. Graphics are dramatically detailed. For instance, when you are using the first-person camera setting, you can see all the little circuits and wires in the crevices of your engine! The tracks are designed exactly like those in the movie. Remember watching as Podracers soared through the cracks and crevices of the Tatooine canyons? Well, you'll be doing that here, too, so watch out! The graphics have a very smooth and soft look about them. The desert sand in the Tatooine levels looks incredibly real and extremely lush. The camera can be adjusted to several different view points in the game, including: first-person -- another form of first-person where you can't see the front of your Podracer -- third-person, and bird's-eye-view overhead mode. The frame rate is almost always super smooth, too. Even at speeds of six hundred miles per hour, the frame rate has no trouble handling the level of detail, choppiness, and so on. There are a few cinema scenes scattered about. Such as, when you enter a certain cheat, you will see your racer and his or her rival taunt one another before the race begins. Characters look exactly like they do in the movies, and when they aren't seated in the cockpit of their Podracer, they move with realistic motion-capture movements. I think that about covers the graphics category. Let's zoom on over to sound, shall we, ladies and gentleman?

SOUND: 8/ CALM DOWN, ALREADY! I CAN HEAR YOU, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Once again, we have a prizewinning category. Sound effects, such as Podracers zooming away, and explosions, are all nicely done. It's sort of funny to hear someone refer to an explosion as, ''Nicely done,'' huh? Music takes its usual role in any Star Wars game, as dramatic and classical orchestra. Though it can be turned up or down, it always remains rather quiet in the first two laps around the tracks, and then blasts as loud as it can on the final lap. There may be ambience in the game, but you probably wouldn't hear it over the rumbling of your engine and the constant screech of your vehicle, anyway. Humorous taunts from racer to racer are frequently heard during game play. The main character, Anakin, may yell something to another driver like, ''Eat dust, Slime ball!'' or ''Get outta my way!''. In the ''taunt character'' code, taunts such as, ''You smell like Bantha poo!'' or ''I could run faster than your Podracer!'', may be heard. That covers sound. On to Track Design.

TRACK DESIGN: 9/ WE'RE IN FOR A BUMPY RIDE, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

Huge tracks with innovative looks are another ''whoop-dee-doo'' in this game. Most tracks take around ten minutes to fully complete. There are also many of them to go through, so don't expect a short ride around the block. All of them have their own special booby-traps and special twists, too. When you're zooming through the narrow sides of Beggar's Canyon, you may run into a wall and smash into a thousand tiny, flaming bits if you're not careful. There are cliff-hops, pillar obstacles, zero gravity vents, and more. If you can survive the final tracks without colliding even once, well, then, I'd use a horseshoe for a hoola-hoop. Let's move on to the next category.

PODRACER DESIGN: 10/ FORGET THE FIREBIRD. STRAP INTO THIS BABY.

HELLO, BABY! These vehicles could outrun the boxer shorts off our cars! All of them have their own stats, too, such as traction, shield, steering, and speed. Unfortunately, only one racer has a special, built-in weapon to use on foolish foes. You unlock new racers by completing track circuits on certain levels of difficulty. There are lots of vehicles, some better, some worse than others.

CLOSING STATEMENT: G' BYE, MATES.

See you all around! As I always say, if you have any further questions, comments, or critique on my review, you can contact me at DrDoak2001@aol.com. The Doc has left the building.