Review by edaneker

Reviewed: 05/16/14

Why the Hate

As a child of the 90s, South Park was a show I wasn't allowed to watch but always loved. I used to sneak and watch it any chance I got, and loved every minute of it. So, when I found out there was a South Park game for my beloved n64, I was absolutely beside myself. But there was one problem how would I get my hands without my parents knowing. I was 10 at the time of it's release so I was nowhere near old enough to rent it, let alone buy it. So what was I to do? Well the answer came in the form of my childhood babysitter. A 15 year old boy who was a family friend and whose parents let him own any game for the system he wanted. One night he came over to babysit and brought it with him. I remember being so excited to pop that bad boy in and have a night filled of coca-cola buzzes and crude humor only South Park could deliver. The first thing I remember was turkeys, and god there were alot of them. I also remember Pee covered Snow balls that you could fling at enemies, all the great South Park character making cameos throughout, as well as the humorous lines spoken by the four boys throughout the game. After a couple hours of playing, my parents came home and my babysitter took the game never to be seen again. I think he let a friend borrow it and he never returned it.

So around 6 years later I had a hankering to play n64 again. I had gotten tired of my Xbox, and wanted to return to some of the games I played during my childhood. So I went out and bought an n64 with a couple of games, Super Mario 64, OOT, and other classics like that, for around 50 bucks (these were the days before retro gaming was hugely popular and n64 games only cost about $5 apiece and a system with 4 controller was around $25) But I found myself also wanting to revisit South Park. So after searching for awhile I finally went and bought a copy. The copy which I still own today.

I remember playing it for the first time when I actually had and idea of what to do. See I was a little bit older at the time and I was not only allowed to watch South Park now, I could watch other things even more adult than that. However, the game hooked me. The humor was still there. The graphics were a bit aged but still very respectable for the time, and the gameplay although repetitive was still challenging and addicting at the same time.The enemies throughout were not challenging but there were alot of them. Usually enemies would go down it one hit and bosses had meters so, like many other games you could tell exactly how far you were in a battle. That's another thing the bosses in this games were difficult but at the same time very fair. After a few tries you would be able to learn attack patterns and beat enemies with relative ease. This made it to were you would not get frustrated and rage quit after a few tries.

However, my favorite part of the game are the weapons. Ranging from the pee covered snow balls, I remember from my young years, to exploding farting Terrance and Philip dolls and chickens that shot eggs from their rear. The weapons completely fit the humor of South Park and made the game that much more enjoyable. It was fun to go through all the weapons and see what exactly they did and the funny ways they defeated enemies.

I enjoy this game so much, I find myself playing it over and over again. And each time I revisit it everything iss still as addicting and hilarious as always. As a fan of the game, I am heart pressed to find it is hated on by alot of people. I mean it no Stick Of Truth but it is still good. For the capabilities and limited material the game had for the time I thought it fared just fine. So my final verdict is as follows.

Difficulty:6/10
hilarity and enjoyment of the game: 9/10

Product Release: South Park (US, 12/21/98)