Review by _cat5

Reviewed: 09/02/08

A Must Have Classic for the N64

This is an amazing and unique classic that belongs in any player's collection. I've always had a lot of fun with it so I figured I'd give it a good review. This is my first review ever here, and I tried to break it down the way I like to see reviews. I hope someone enjoys reading it... but most importantly I hope many others can enjoy playing this awesome game as much as I do!

Graphics:
Great 3D and effects, smooth, and makes you feel like you're there. Uses the N64's power well.

Sound:
I always liked the music in this game. It is not your usual Pokemon tracks, it's unique and memorable. Sound effects of the Pokemon and cart rolling are great too.

Gameplay:
It's a lot of fun, and unlike any other game. You roll around in a cart with a camera and take pictures. You get things you can throw at the Pokemon to make them act differently so you can capture their picture in different poses. Pictures are scored and saved one for each Pokemon you can find, and there are a lot of the Pokemon in the game. Trust me, it's a lot more fun than it sounds.

AI:
Well, the artificial intelligence in the game is pretty good. The tracks do the same thing every time if you don't interact with the Pokemon, but they react to your actions well. At the end of each stage or when you run out of film, Professor Oak grades your photos with a score based on different areas, and the AI here is very accurate and smart at picking which ones are the best.

Replay Value:
It's one of those games that is a lot of fun to pop in and play every once in a while. It saves all your data and pictures. You can constantly work towards getting higher scoring pictures. You can choose to play from any course once you've completed it, so it's not like Starfox 64 where you must start from the beginning each time. Just jump in and start playing!

Bottom Line:
It's a cheap game you can easily find for a few dollars. Definitely worth buying this unique and entertain game. I'd say even a non Pokemon fan could have a lot of fun with it since you don't need skills from other games. If you can't find it for the N64, you can pay $10 for it on the Wii Shop Channel.

Thanks for reading!

Product Release: Pokemon Snap (US, 06/30/99)