Review by Philz20

Reviewed: 07/25/03 | Updated: 07/25/03

Worst hockey game ever.

Well, here's a review for Olympic Hockey '98. When I first saw the advertisements for this game about 3-5 years ago, I was like, ''I have to buy it!'' But the sad thing was, I bought it and I thought it was the worse hockey game that I have ever played. So, sit back and read this review.

I didn't like the gameplay that well. The controls were a little weird and it was hard to even shoot the puck on target. For me, it was crazy on how they would call offsides. I would skate across the rink, then they would call offsides. For me, I had to pass it and they wouldn't call offsides which I thought was strange. Also, the player you were controlling was hard to control. He would just move all over the place and it was hard to move the player to go straight.

Well, since this is an Olympic game, it's one big tournament. As you know, the teams who are in the top 3 are awarded either the Gold, Silver, or Bronze medal. There are over 16 Olympic teams and the rosters were pretty accurate at the time. Even if you bumped someone, they would call a penalty on you. The tournament was a little confusing to figure out but you were able to get the hang of it after a while. Also, the games were pretty tough. The opposing team would play hard and they would try to stop you at all costs.

The graphics didn't impress me at all. All of the players and the puck looked big which was a huge flaw in the game. You could never tell the players faces apart. The only way you could know who it was, was by looking at their jersey numbers. The goalies saves weren't great either. Probably the best part of the graphics was when you would score a goal and if you shot the puck high enough, the water bottle would fly off the net which I thought was pretty funny. The sound wasn't too impressive either. The music sounded really annoying and weird. Also the National Anthems sounded really bad. The only thing that was good about the sound was the whistle and shooting the puck sounded real.

A tournament takes usually one or two days. Otherwise, when you play a game, it feels like the game lasts forever. When you play one game, you probably would never want to play it again. I still have the game, but I never really had the guts to sell it.

Now the big question is: Buy it? Rent it? Or don't buy it? Don't buy it. It was a total waste of my money. I never wanted to play that game again and it was a very poor hockey game. This game is rated E for Everyone. Hope you enjoyed my review and I hope you put in some thought before buying or renting this game.

Rating:   1.0 - Terrible