Review by Lagunathemoron

Reviewed: 11/18/01 | Updated: 11/18/01

Good gameplay, graphics and sound, But does it make up for the loss of Koopa and the Feather power-up?

Mario Kart is back! Mario Kart 64, was released a few months after Super Mario 64, One of the best platforming games to date! Mario Kart 64 is the sequel to the brilliant racer called Super Mario Kart, but is Mario Kart 64 a good heir to the king? No, But Mario Kart Super Circuit is! You see, Mario Kart 64 is good to all gamers eyes, but if a gamer sat down and compared it to the Super Nintendo version, they would find that this game is the black sheep of the racing family.

For starters, the best loved elements have gone down the drain, Like Koopa and Donkey Kong J.R. Koopa and Donkey Kong J.R, was two of the three heavy-racers, the other was Bowser. In Mario Kart 64, Nintendo thought to ditch the two heavy characters, and swap them with Donkey Kong and Mario's clone, Wario. Though, I must admit that I like Donkey Kong and Wario (My current favorite Mario Character), But I am a bit annoyed to see two great racers unavailable. Wouldn't it be great to have father and son race each other? It would of been better if Nintendo added and was not replaced by Wario and Donkey Kong.

Also missing is the feather power-up. The feather power-up allowed you to create several short-cuts on the tracks on the Super Nintendo version. Nintendo have gave this the shop as well, probably because the tracks are too far wide from each other.

You maybe thinking I should of given this game less then a eight because I dislike the idea of the two missing characters, but do not get me wrong, I still love Mario Kart 64, but I don't think it deserves a 10.

The graphics are a massive improvement from its brother, Super Mario Kart, everything is in brilliant 3D. The courses are no longer flat, they have hills and ramps. Everything there is unbelievable, the tracks are in so much detail, and have no glitches what-so-ever.

You could treat the music as 'remixes' of the Super Nintendo version, and other such Mario games. The music is identical to that of the other game, plus the game has more music. The two best tunes has to be the Star Power-up theme tune, and the Rainbow Road music. Each character have their own voices as well, though Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Bowser just have animal noises. The other five characters, Luigi, Mario, Princess Peach, Wario and Toad have their own voices and sayings. When Toad wins a match, he rubs it in the other players face by saying ''I'm the best!''. Actually Toad, I like Bowser and Yoshi better.

The best thing about Mario Kart 64 is the Gameplay, followed by Multi-player. The gameplay in this gem is brilliant, though it lacks Computer AL. The handling is very easy, even on 150 G.T. You race on twenty tracks, collecting four cups, but you knew that, right? The most fun part about racing, especially with friends is the power-ups. The power-ups give you great advantages. The red shell for instance, tails the player in front of you and attacks them. The Star power up makes you invincible, and best of all, The lightning power up grants the player the ability to shrink the other players on the track, this makes them really small and open to massive obstacles. The best time to use/Abuse this power up is on Wario's Stadium. There is a large ramp, and you need good speed to jump over it, if you don't have enough speed, you go back own the track, having to race for a lot longer, but if you use that power-up when a rival is on that spot, you can become very evil, and make them wait. HAHAHA!

In Multi-player mode, You can race around any of the twenty tracks, but there is an extra mode, Battle mode. In battle mode, players are in one of four additional tracks, These are : A Donut shaped stadium, Sky Scraper, A Maze of some-sort and a huge rally stadium. You and your rivals have three balloons on your car, if all three of these pop, you are out of the game. You have to do everything to make the other players loose their balloons, but throwing shells, ramming them or even run by them with the Star Power up.

Mario Kart 64 is one of the most addictive and fun games on the Nintendo 64, and I recommend everyone who enjoys racing to buy one, it is so much fun, but a few things have been missed out.

Good

- Wario and Donkey Kong
- Great Graphics
- Great Gameplay
- Great sound and music
- Addictive
- Very fun!

Bad

- No feather power up
- No Donkey Kong J.R
- No Koopa Troopa
- A bit easy...

Summary

Graphics - 10/10
Sound - 9/10
Enjoyment - 9/10
Multiplayer - 8/10
Features - 6/10
Overall - 8 - Moving on to a 9

Alternatives : Try Diddy Kong Racing, Mickey’s Speedway USA, Another Mario Kart, South Park Rally or Snowboard Kids.