Review by MFields1978

Reviewed: 01/15/20

Disney Tetris

Once upon a time, there was a company called Capcom that made video games based on Disney. They started with Mickey Mousecapade for the Nintendo before going on to hits like Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Talespin to Darkwing Duck. Then Nintendo shifted to the Super Nintendo where they found magic in Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse.

Then Nintendo unveiled the Nintendo 64 and gamers marveled at the 3D transition of Super Mario 64. What will Capcom take their Disney license next? Will they take their characters to 3D?

No. No, they don’t.

Instead, they take it to Tetris. Honestly, this could have easily been a Super Nintendo game. The graphics alone is pretty close but the sprites look pretty nice.

This is essentially Disney Tetris with a couple new additions. You can actually mess with the other player by scoring enough lines and sending over what’s called pentominos which are awkward blocks that can become quite large in size. Not to fear, you also get a magic meter that you can fill up with enough blocks and cause a rainbow to take away most of your rising blocks then magically get the right pieces to give you a clean slate. How convenient.

You can play on Story Mode or Versus with Endless Mode or Uptown Mode as an option. These are mainly classic Tetris without those annoying magical blocks.

In Story Mode, you can play as either Mickey, Minnie, Donald or Goofy as they find out about a glowing rock that Pete wants to take from them. The last three guys you face are Weasel (from Who Framed Roger Rabbit), Big Bad Wolf, and finally Pete. All the characters settle their differences by challenging each other to Tetris. The computer A.I. gets really cheap later on, but I guess that’s to be expected.

I must compliment the soundtrack which is truly the best part of this game. My favorites happened to be Minnie and The Big Bad Wolf. I found Mickey’s Theme to be somewhat decent too,

Its such a strange decision for Capcom to choose Tetris for the Disney license but I imagine it was quick and out the door. I actually like this guy and prefer it over most Tetris games. Then again, I’m a big Disney buff. Still, it would have been something if they created a Super Mario 64 game with Mickey or even Donald or Goofy. The world may never know.

Product Release: Magical Tetris Challenge (US, 01/14/99)