Review by marcus1701

Reviewed: 06/15/02 | Updated: 06/15/02

Still one of the best

I've played this game since it came out in 96 as one of the first football games available for the 64. It's 2002 and I'm happy to say it's been a great game all the way through. (I played with a friend 95% of the time) So here's my review:

Nothing groundbreaking, but when I first saw the players in replay mode, I thought to myself ''damn that's sweet.'' This game was definitely not a cheap conversion from the playstation. The animation is great, (for its day) and the stadiums are all accurately modeled. From the kneepads to the logos everything is sharp. (Although there are no official logos, because EA failed to get the NFL license. Instead of saying the ''49ers'' they are merely called San Francisco, which is fine because you will forget in minutes of gameplay)

Sure Pat Summerall and John Madden make a descent duo outside of the game, but I'm sad to say I can't say the same for this game. I just never felt like they added any real value to the game for several reasons. They never speak to each other. Often John will make comments like ''hey, didn't he see that coming,'' and repetitiveness.(something they still haven't fixed today) The crowds sound fantastic as they cheer ''defense'' for their home team or use noisemakers during huddles. The grunts and hits from the players sound realistic enough to tell whether a hit was either big or weak.

With several modes to play, Madden will keep you glued. The real enjoyment comes from playing with a friend. The AI is good however sometimes too good. The play book is varied and well balanced. The only major drawback in the game is ''intercepting'' the ball. While this could just be because of skill. Intercepting the ball is sometimes easier than the receiver trying to catch it. I guess this is fair, but it becomes frustrating after each play. Different climates such as snow, rain, and wind add more replay value.

Control: 9/10
Using the N64 controller is a breeze. The only reason it doesn't get a ten is because the analog stick seems too specific. It's hard to aim a tackle dive. The D-pad for some reason seems more suited for this game.

Conclusion:
At this current time there's no reason to buy it. With games like NFL Fever and Madden 2002 in store shelves today this game seems ancient. If you happen to see this game and know another football fan, then buy it. This game will bring hours of fun despite its age.