Review by Monkey Man

Reviewed: 12/08/02 | Updated: 12/08/02

ECW die hards: Enter. Casual wrestling fans: Don't bother.

First off, let me say that my score of 6 is not an average of the following categories. It also got a 6 because I am a die hard ECW fan. Casual wrestling fans will most likely not like this game. If you're a casual fan, I would buy WWF No Mercy. In my opinion, its the best wrestling game to date.

Not great, not horrible. The wrestlers look really good. MOST look like their real life counterpart. The background isn't very good. The crowd look like 2D cardboard cut-outs.

I would give it a higher rating, but the entrance music generally isn't very good. The announcing, wrestler voices, and crowd comments are crystal clear. The announcer, Joey Styles, sounds like he does in real life. Same with 90% of the wrestlers.

Game Play: 5/10

Probably the game's worst element. A lot of the moves don't work occasionally, forcing you to mash button furiously. When the moves do work, however, its very fun. Most moves look decent.

Game Play Modes: 9/10

There are limitless combinations for matches in exhibition mode. Various tag matches, 3 way, 4 way, etc. You can also customize match type with various modes like: deathmatch(weapons), street fight, cage, barbed wire, etc. You can also customize the way to win the match with options like: I quit, finishers only, first blood, etc. There is also a career mode similar to WWF Attitude's. You can also make your own PPVs and tournaments.

Extras: 10/10

The create-a-player mode is outstanding. Probably the best for any N64 wrestling game.(With the possible exception of No Mercy because there's a better move selection.) There are hidden wrestlers and modes that can be found via playing career mode or tournaments.

Satisfaction: 7/10

Note, this only applies to die hard ECW fans. If you love ECW, you'll probably love this game. Its brutal, bloody, raunchy, and profane just like the real ECW. My only real beefs with the game are mostly small things. The only major thing is the stubborness of the game when you try to pull off moves.

Buy or Rent: Rent first, then if you like it, buy it. Good luck finding it, though. I've never seen it to rent, and only two stores to buy. If you can find it, though, it'll probably be pretty cheap.