Review by Rin-Coconut

Reviewed: 03/15/17

Rance: Hikari o Motomete

THIS IS AN 18+ GAME. THIS IS A REVIEW FOR THE ORIGINAL 1989 VERSION, NOT THE REMAKE.

Rance: Hikari o Motomete is a game that was released in Japan for various computer based systems in 1989. The game has not been localized, but in 2008 it was officially re-released as freeware, which was then fan translated, so you can play it in English for free (legally). This game is a JRPG, but with heavy detective elements. The premise of the game is about a perverted young man who’s basically a mercenary getting hired to find a girl by the name of Hikari, the one the one mentioned in the game title, for a large sum of money. You also need to help a bartender find his daughter too.

The game is on the short side (only a few hours to complete) and has a handful of places to explore. The game's real game play is in just figuring out what the hell to do and where to go. You’ll have to navigate the different areas, repeatedly check on things or do repeated actions, and really have to think on what to do, almost none of it is hinted to you. These parts are detective like and can be tricky at times but are fun. You might spend a large amount of your playtime when these moments come up.

There’s of course battles but they’re very easy and not very in-depth, I basically just kept clicking which killed the monsters. When you have the best of the best equipment you can easily take down enemies lightning fast. The combat in this game is extremely easy and the need to truly be strategic is very uncommon, this is my only issue with the game, and its a major issue. My favorite thing about JRPG games is being strategic in combat, but the combination of the battle system being very simple and the enemies being weak, makes that unnecessary.

The main character, Rance, is pretty funny because of how much of an ass he is. He does really uncalled for dick moves, only does stuff if he gets paid or laid, and other things. Which leads me to my next point, this game is full of hentai. Lots of the time its because the MC (main character) just thinks he deserves it, to get information, or just for the hell of it. The way you can learn new spells is that you have relations with your friend, Sill, who looks like a big ball of cotton candy. The h-scenes are mostly breasts exposed but the actual penetration is off-screen.

The quality of graphics on this game are either legit or hilarious. Unless you're fighting a warrior, many of the enemies are just blobby little, uh, monsters, or are mildy derpy anime girls, which may or may not have arms. The graphics on the actual characters, h-scenes, and images are of a much higher quality. Really dope looking sprite work, some of them are obviously sprites, and some look much more drawn. The graphics are best during the sexy times with Sill.

Despite the game being so short with only a few areas the game is still able to deliver numerous tasks, missions, places, characters, events, and even a minigame. You'll battle, you'll explore, you'll be a detective, all with numerous h-scenes, comedic moments, and a surprisingly good story with unexpected twists and turns.

The girl on the cover is not in the game.

Product Release: Rance: Hikari o Motomete (JP, 12/31/89)

Hi, I'm Rin-Coconut~! I run the game review blog, The Loli Gamer, and play a wide range of games and systems~! If you've enjoyed this review, please check out my others: https://theloligamer.wordpress.com/