Review by davyfields

Reviewed: 05/27/02 | Updated: 05/27/02

If real SUV's could drive like these cars, life'd be great.

4X4 Evolution is like so many games that get ported to the Macintosh. They weren't great on Windows, but the developer slops a port over that's worse than the original, and results in what we have here today. In a game that was siked to be the online connection between Mac's, PC's, and Dreamcasts, it sadly fails on all cylinders.

Graphics: The graphics in this game are alright. Everything is pretty polygonal, and the textures are all pretty lame. The cars look fine in races, but in the shops, sometimes they really look awful. You've got a limited choice of colors, and the enviroments all suffer from a close-range fog, even wide open area ones. The biggest problem is the utter lack of crashes. You car can't be dented, destroyed or stop. The most important thing to know is Your car cannot be flipped over! You cannot crash in this game, at all, ever! Much of the time, you'll fall off a cliff, turn 90 degrees as you fall, and then magically land on your wheels like a 4,000 pound cat. This has to be the games biggest fault, to get vehicles that are supposed to be so down and dirty and making them all wussie like. Graphics Overall: 6 out of 10.

Sound: The sound in the game is fine, there's some okay included tunes, but the engine suffers from a highly repetitive effect. The whole race always sounds the same, mainly generic rock music with a ''rrrrrr'' in the background all the time. Sound Overall: 7 out of 10.

Controls: This game is a beast to control. There's some basic controls, followed by all the advanced ones you need to win. Steering is very floaty, and although there's sensitity, I always felt like I either turned like the Titanic did, or I do a T-Stop, rapid acceleration turn everytime, no matter what I set it to. There's lots of ramps and stuff around, which is the games redeeming point to go off a ramp and soar. Other than that, it's more of the same. Controls Overall: 7 out of 10.

Gameplay: Because the controls are lame, and the graphics and sound are weak, this game isn't very fun. It's like GTA-lite, for trucks. Many of the parts you buy are very strange, those little things so you can get in the truck on the side, aluminum exhaust pipes, ect. They seems to help you very little, and in the end, the only way you win races is by blind luck alone. If you get into, it's possible to rack up an empire of racing, but I never could. The online community was filled with people with super-cars, so you can never just join the action and have it be fair. Cheating abounds, so there's not much of a point anymore. Gameplay Overall: 6 out of 10.

4X4 Evolution is a game plagued by blandness. There's never a real sense of speed, ruggedness, or unfortunatly, fun. Overall: 6 out of 10.