Review by Jipster

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 11/01/99

Better Late than Never

Mac users rejoice!... I guess. Quake 2 has finally hit the Macintosh platform.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.. if you're anything like me, you're sick of hearing about Quake 2. Hell, I was sick of hearing about Quake 1. But if you ARE looking for a new 1st Person shooter to replace Marathon, (If you're anything like me, the original Quake didn't do much for yas when compared to "The Trilogy") then Quake 2 may finally be what you're looking for.

You're in space. You crash land. You shoot some things called "Stroggs." Yeah, yeah, most of you are familiar with the drill. There's nothing original about the game, really, but it sure beats the pants of Doom III.. err... I mean Quake. The graphics are real nice, especially with a 3D card, and the speed is great. Play control is right on, especially if you're using mouse to aim/shoot. Fully adjustable with input sprocket. And you'll be glad to know, those of you who were unsatisfied with the original Quake's arsenal of nailgun, shotgun, grenade, rocket, that Quake 2's arsenal has been expanded.. nicely.

The One Player Game: Surprise! One of Quake 2's biggest improvements. The original QUake's one-player mode seemed to scream, "I'M ONLY GOOD FOR MULTIPLAYER!" But ID actually spent some time on the single player mode. The level design is actuall REALLY good, presenting objectives to follow and such. There are even cinematic scenes scattered around the game to keep your attention.. though honestly, they aren't anything to write home about. However, the game is long and satisfying, and present a greater variety of objectives and enemies than the original did. Improvements all around, this was the way Quake 1 should have been.

And of course, the Multiplayer mode. I'll tell you what, it's pretty sweet. Unless you've been in a closet for the last few years, I don't need to go too far into this.. but if you're concerned at all, let me assure you -- Quake 2's multiplayer mode is worth the price of admission, as long as you've got some buds on a LAN to play with, or at least a high-speed connection to the internet.

All right, Mac users.. continue your rejoicing.