Review by prof1515

Reviewed: 11/21/05

A Decent Attempt At Hockey

I'm not a fan of ice hockey whether it be watching or playing the real thing or a video game. But I have to give credit where credit's due and say that NHL '95 is a good game. Could it have been better? I can't really say, but it's not perfect so chances are yes. But then again, it's still the best there was for the Sega Genesis as far as hockey was concerned.

All the NHL teams and players are here with exhaustive statistics for each. Like other EA Sports titles, they didn't overlook things like that. There are plenty of options for how to play, even just a shootout option which can be fun.

Game control is a bit quirky. It's hard to maintain control on the ice but of course this isn't nearly so much a problem for the computer. The result is a rather imbalanced performance on your part until you've gotten the hang of things. Sound and graphics are acceptable, though they could have been better. You can play against the computer or against other players (up to four with a four-player adapter) in the usual various combinations (1-vs-1, 2-vs-1, 2-vs-2, 3-vs-1, 1-vs-computer, 2-vs-computer, 3-vs-computer, or 4-vs-computer) and thus ensure some good replay value. However, the control issues can be a bit irritating and trying to coordinate offense with two players is even harder than alone.

In the end, I suppose one has to be a hockey fan to truly appreciate this game. I, as I said, am not. But it was entertaining, and any hockey game that can hold my attention for more than a few minutes has to have something about it. Still the control problems were a bit irritating and that prevented me from giving it a higher rating than I did. On the whole it's probably the best hockey game for the Sega Genesis. Take it for what it's worth.

Control: 4