Review by Metalguru

Reviewed: 01/20/03 | Updated: 01/20/03

Underneath the acclaimed Terminator license, all I see is an average shooter.

Terminator 2: The Arcade Game is (gasp!) an arcade shooter based on the gun-toting blockbuster movie. It fared as a pretty good shooter at the arcades and was everywhere. Then, the developers decided to release the game for home consoles and the game turned out to be pretty much on the average side of shooters. It had average graphics, average gameplay, average sound, and a huge challenge! For short, this is just another casualty of average games that were translated from movies.

Underneath the blessed Terminator license, all I see is an average shooter. None of the levels are really all that different from one another and can be repetitive or frustrating. Cheat codes are recommended.

The tunes are catchy, but lack clarity. The weapon effects aren’t something to be proud of either, though the missile effects sound good, the machine gun sounds like the beating of a trash can. This game has pretty average sound effects that should not be listened to with the volume pumped up.

Control: 7/10
Terminator 2 makes a pretty good transition from gun to controller, but it still has many flaws. The aimer is way overactive and for some reason, the developers made it possible to run low on ammo! Why do the developers want to slow down the gameplay as much as possible?

The environments may look pretty good but the character animation is lacking even for Sega Genesis standards. All the enemies and allies move and look like pieces of cardboard at a shooting range. Also, the civilians stand in the middle of the battle as if nothing is going on. I thought we were in a nuclear war!

Challenge: 8/10
This game is very hard!! It is nearly impossible to pass the third level unless you have a level skip code. Some games are hard, like Contra and Ghouls n’ Ghosts, but they can be beat and aren’t repetitive! This, on the other hand is all too repetitive for most gamers to enjoy.

Replay Value: 6/10
Once you somehow complete the impossible task of conquering this game, you probably won’t play it anymore unless you are ridiculously bored.

Game Time: 7/10
I was pretty satisfied that they went through most of the scenes in the movie like the shootout at the office building, the helicopter chase, and of course, the war. I just wished that they could have done more scenes such as the big rig chase and the shootout at the sanitarium.

Despite having the very cool Terminator license, this game turned out to be another casualty in the morgue for so-so games translated into movies. If you have a video store that still has Genesis games in stock, then give Terminator 2: The Arcade Game a whirl. But whatever you do, do not buy this game!