Review by discoinferno84

Reviewed: 01/26/04

Turtle Power, indeed.

Introduction:

All right, I've been a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtule fan for pretty much all my life. I had just about all the little action figures, and watched the show and movies religiously. So when I got my Sega Genesis, this game caught my eye. I mean, it was a fighting Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle game!

Gameplay:

You have several characters at your command. You have the four turtles, April O'Neal, Sisyphus, Ray Fillet, and of course, Casey Jones. You get to go around Dimension X, fighting different opponents. The controls are easy enough, however they are a little sluggish in response time. Each character has their own special moves that not unlike those of other fighting games during the time. But they're still good. I love doing crazy aerial throws using April or planting time bombs with Casey. Also, there is an instant replay at the end of every match. If you've finished off your opponent in a way that you seem to like, you can sit back and admire your handiwork. Here's the thing though, if you've been playing with a certain character throughout the game and decide you want to change characters, you have to go back and beat all the levels you've already finished. Not necessarily a big deal, since it's pretty hard to get knocked out in this game up until the end. The only complaint I have here is speed and reaction time. Before getting this game, I was accustomed to more responsive, faster gameplay. This game teaches that patience is a virtue. Overall, gameplay is decent all things considered.

Story:

Basically, the evil mastermind Krang has created evil clones of our heroes. Splinter, the master rat sensei has been kidnapped by these menaces. It's up to our hero's with a half shell to fight past the clones and into Krang's evil domain. Although, Krang isn't really the mastermind here...

Graphics/Sound:

Graphics aren't too bad in this game. I've seen much worse on the Genesis to put down this game. The levels are somewhat detailed, best of which is shown on Michaelangelo's stage, the Mirage Planet. Character voices are pretty good too. Each character has their own little taunt. The sounds of attacks fit well with the attacks performed,if not a little a over dramatized.

Play Time/Replayability:

It's decent. Not that good, but decent. The final boss will give you a run for your money if you're a novice player. Also, with multiple levels of difficulty at your disposal, this game can be somewhat challenging with respect to timing, button combos, etc.

Final Recommendation:

Good luck trying to find it. If you do, go ahead. It won't hurt you. Sure, there are plenty of better fighting games out there, but fans of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will like this game.