Review by Ofisil

Reviewed: 05/14/09

No wonder Taz is always angry

Taz-Mania is a Platform game developed by Recreational Brainware. I remember back then reading about Taz-Mania in game mags and hearing the best about it. I never had the chance to play this game and I’m glad I didn’t for my weak childish mind would explode from the frustration this game brings. I can’t understand these game developers some time… a game, no matter how challenging ought to be enjoyable and this one not only isn’t fun but the challenge is way beyond the acceptable limits.

Story: N/A

Taz Hungry! Taz Needs Eggs! Taz Go Find Eggs In Ancient Temple! Taz Go Around Island Find Island, Taz Find Eggs in Temple Near Home!!! Yes that’s the plot of Taz-Mania… do you even care???

Graphics: 6.5/10
Design: 5.5/10

Okay the graphics in this game are very good but there isn’t anything special to say about them. The enemy sprites are very simple and insignificant but Taz himself is very well designed and with great animation, as if he has popped out of the cartoon series. He sometimes gets very funny to watch especially when you leave him standing for a while making him very angry. The backgrounds remind me of the Road Runner landscapes, there are only a few levels, like a desert-like, a jungle, an ice lake and some others. Generally though graphics in this game are good.

Sound: 5.5/10
Music: 4/10

Sound effects are decent with Taz sounding like Taz when he uses his spinning attack or gets angry mumbling his stuff. The other sounds are the typical sounds you would expect and nothing more. Music on the other hand isn’t worth mentioning, just some tunes that accompany you, nothing special.

Replay Value: 0/10

Taz-Mania is the typical platform game where you avoid traps, kill enemies and collect items, but controlling Taz isn’t exactly complicated. You walk, jump and use his spinning attack, so simple, BUT the way this are executed make the game very bad. When you jump for example its not easy to control when Taz lands… it’s a little hard to explain it, you have to see it for yourself to understand. Also when you use your spinning attack you move to the side you’re turned to and move at an extremely fast speed making it very difficult to control Taz even in the shortest distances. The worst thing though is the level design which makes the game one of the hardest ever. Apart from the fact that it is very hard to control Taz the levels are full of traps that you can see until you fall on them making the whole experience a trial and error, but even after memorizing where is what the game still remains very hard. Some great examples are the mine and river levels where things move so damn fast that it will be a miracle if you survive. Apart from the difficulty of the game Taz-Mania has nothing really special to offer and is just a run-of-the-mill platformer.

Positives:
-Nice graphics

Negatives:
-Boring
-Bad controls
-Unfairly hard

Also Play:
Sonic The Hedgehog (Mega Drive)
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive)
Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (Mega Drive)

Overall: 3.7/10

I don’t understand what some gamers find in games that are not challenging but almost unfair. I for once didn’t have any fun with that game! It was boring, extremely hard and offered nothing new.

Rating:   2.0 - Poor

Product Release: Taz-Mania (US, 12/24/92)