Review by SuperSonic612

Reviewed: 07/06/05

It's sad when you have to look at the Genesis for a good Spider-Man game.

Story: 4/10 I'm not a fan of stories in video games. This one doesn't change my mind. The Kingpin has set a bomb that will go off in 24 hours. So our sticky superhero steps out to stop the explosion that would make NY go BOOM! Less than impressive.

Graphics: 9/10 I like the graphics in this game. Spidey looks like he should, and all the levels look awesome too. From sewers to amusement parks, the graphics look exactly like they should for a Genesis game-good.

Audio: 7/10 The music is cool and so are the sound effects. Just...they don't get any higher than a "cool." I can't really explain why...they just don't seem to be as good as the should.

Gameplay: 8/10 All you got to do is swing around and beat things up. The usual punks on the road aren't very hard to beat, but the bosses more than make up for that. One boss you find yourself having to go all the way back to the beginning of the level to give him a shower (I'll leave it up to your imagination to guess who that is), and others you have to keep jumping in the air to get a hit in. You, of coarse, can swing around, crawl, all of the usual Spidey stuff. At the end of the levels are boss fights (as explained above). I'm not going to spoil who's in the game, but after each boss fight, you get a key. Now you need these keys to defuse the bomb at the end. But here's what I don't get. You got NO way of knowing which key goes where on the bomb. The one and only time I did it, I used my secret method that I'm going to share with you right here. I mashed a whole bunch of buttons and managed to defuse the bomb. Great method, eh?

Replayability: 5/10 You don't find yourself coming back to this game too often. With nothing else to do but the same thing over and over again, you find yourself getting quite bored after awhile. I mean, it's not like there's a fork in the road and you have to choose which way. That would be kinda cool. But, that ain't the case, so we don't have to worry about that one, do we?

Final Verdict: Buy/Leave at the store shelf Buy if you like Spidey. Leave it if not. If I reviewed this game 10 years ago, I would only say rent. But since it would be impossible to find this game over $5, you might as well just buy it. Without the Spider-Man named slapped on it, this would be a disgrace to all games. But, since it does, and I happen to like SM alot, I'm going to recommend buying it.