Review by GGAGAHC

Reviewed: 08/06/03

Very Different From The Prequels But Still Good!

I don\'t think I can ever give a Golden Axe game less than a 10 but that\'s because they\'re all so good. The third of the series is no different...

First, let\'s start with a story. Like the previous two, it\'s basically some evil guy steals the Golden Axe and now you must kick that guy\'s evil ass and win back the Golden Axe to restore peace to the land. Same old, same old. I really can\'t say it\'s original...although, if they did change the story, it would totally ruin the whole Golden Axe series\' concept!

Next, we go to graphics, sounds, and music. The graphics are pretty good. The four heroes all look good. The enemies all look good too. They took out the Heningers with the claws from Golden Axe 2 and replaced it with dudes wielding spears. Plus, the Longmoans still have their clubs but they\'ve turned into fat, short guys that try to ram you with their belly...go figure. The Amazons are back, of course. Uhh...the bosses all look good and there are even new Bizzarians, although they took out the Chicken Legs...what a pity. The new Bizzarians are all very weak and will only get you killed. One thing I never really liked about Golden Axe is the fact that there are lots of enemies, but there are really just a few...the reason there are so many enemies is because the few enemies are just repainted and made stronger!! Definitely have to change that. But, really, I\'ve got no problem with it so I\'m not going to complain. The sounds and music...I really have nothing to say about them. They\'re good. That\'s all!

Moving on, we\'ll go to controls!! It\'s the same thing. A for magic, B for attack, and C for jump! However, now, you can perform different moves using button combinations. The combinations are the same for every character...it\'s just that they do different things. Anyway, nothing wrong with the controls. Chances are, you\'ll never get your ass kicked just because of the controls so don\'t worry about them.

Next, we come to gameplay!!!!! It\'s all the same as the previous one\'s. Choose a character. This time, there are 4 characters. Axe Battler and Tyris Flare are back...sorta. There\'s also the addition of a Panther Guy and what seems to be a Wrestler...or Giant...whatever. Anyway, move on, pummel the enemies that try to stop your journey and move on to the next levels until you finally fight the Prince Of Darkness! However, unlike the previous two, this time, you get to choose paths when you come to a crossroad. The path you choose will determine your next level or your next part of the level you\'re in. Also, you can now free hostages by breaking their chains/ropes or killing the enemy that was guarding them. Free five hostages and you get a life! It\'s that simple! Hmm...about magic, the Golden Axe 2 concept is gone and is replaced with the first game\'s magic system. And another thing is that everyone can get the same amount of magic pots but I don\'t know if they\'re stronger than the others...oh well. What else? Hmm...there are two different endings. And...yeah...that\'s about it!

Lastly, we have length, difficulty, and replayability. It\'s pretty hard and long. Enough said about that. There are two different endings so you\'ll probably play two times. That\'s about it. And...that\'s all!!!

Sounds: 10/10