Review by HorseFlesh

Reviewed: 04/27/00 | Updated: 04/27/00

A classic multiplayer game that shouldn't be forgotten.

Gauntlet should be a familiar name to many gamers. From the newest Gauntlet Legends games to the original Gauntlet by Atari that first came out in arcades, this game is a true classic. Gauntlet IV for the Sega Genesis is no exception.

Graphics

Standard overhead graphics similar to the previous games. Better graphics than the Nintendo versions, of course. Nice shading effects have been added and are so many monsters on the screen at once. If you have played any of the older Gauntlet games, the graphics will seem very familiar. Overall, nothing special, but they suit the game well, staying true to the series.

Music/Sound

Gauntlet IV sports some pretty cool music in the stages, but nothing special. The sounds in the game are hilarious though. The announcer has kind of a muffled voice and sounds like his mouth is full when he speaks. He will say things like ''Done thoot food'', translation: ''Don't shoot food''. The characters make some pretty funny sounds when they are attacked by enemies as well. These are familiar voices from part 2 on the NES, and suits the game quite well.

Once again, sticking to the original Gauntlet gameplay. Basically, run through hordes of enemies looking for power-ups and the exit. You have to find keys to get through certain doors. It can get a bit repetitive though. In arcade mode, I don't reccommend single player, as it will get tedious soon. However, playing with a friend or friends (this game is up to 4 players at the same time if you have the adapter), the game can be quite fun. I haven't had a chance to play it with 3 other people yet, but it is probably the best way to go. There are many different enemies, including the usual ghosts, demons, and wizards. Gauntlet 4 also has Dragons, and it probably has a last boss, but I have yet to beat the game. There are tons of levels in this game, as there were in the previous ones. Another cool aspect of this version is the addition of a ''story mode'' which gives the game RPG aspects. You are able to buy weapons, armor, and potions at shops throughout the game. It is a very cool concept.

Overall

All in all, this game will make an excellent edition to a gamer's library. There are quite a few things to do in this game, and hey, it's Gauntlet, and just that makes it worth looking into. Gauntlet 1 & 2 for the NES were some of my favorites when I was a kid, and this game brings back memories. I am at a loss for what system Gauntlet 3 came out for though. I'm just glad a version came out for the Sega Genesis, a prized piece in my Genesis collection.