Review by darkblade1112

Reviewed: 01/02/07

Hard to believe this was developed by a former Sonic team member

If forced to be blunt, I would tell you that this game is poor. It seems like the developer forgot it was the 90's and rushed through this game. I have to say the concept is great, simple yet fun, but its just not a good game, although it could have been.

In this game, you are a little blue bird running around through levels with various platforms and walls collecting baby chicks and helping them escape through the exit door. While doing this you must avoid the striped cats who chase you, and if they touch you, you lose a life. If they touch the chicks (who follow you after you collect them) the chicks stop following you, and you have to go back and collect them again. There are random objects in levels that you can pick up and throw at the cats, and if it hits them, they disappear , but come back after a couple of seconds. There's also some other thing in later stages, I think its supposed to be a lizard, but it looks like a walking fish to me. It runs around much faster than the cats, and can walk on walls. It can also kill you if it touches you.

The faster you finish a level, the more points you get, and the more chicks you send to the exit at one time, the more points you get. Every couple stages there is a bonus stage, where you are on a platform holding a net, and under you are cats on see-saws launching chicks into the air, and you have to catch them. If you catch them all you get a bunch of bonus points. Earning so many points gains you an extra life.

Its a fun and simple concept that anyone can play, but not without flaws. First of all, I'd like to take a minute and say whoever came up with the control scheme needs to get kicked in the gonads. I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to make the jump button and the throw button the same, but they obviously weren't thinking. Come one people, the Genesis has 3 buttons, why only use 1, especially when this game needs 2? Also, the physics in this game are terrible. No matter how fast you're running, if you jump into a wall, you bounce back way to far. It also takes too long to change directions. If you're running and you want to turn around, it will slow down and skid for a while, then start running. Its annoying, especially since the cats can come to a complete stop immediately. These things are all so obvious, especially the controls, they really do detract from the game's funness, and add a high level of frustration.

They could have also easily added stuff to the game, like maybe letting Flicky fly (he is a bird after all), and have flying enemies, and the chicks could hang on to Flicky's feet when he's flying.

No story. Again, laziness on the developer's part.

Let's remember this game was developed in 1991. The same year Sonic was developed. It's no comparison. This game could have easily been developed for the NES 10 years earlier. Most of the backgrounds are similar, although there are a few that are different. Still, not very creative. The sprites are small and undetailed. Remember the lizard thing I was talking about? If the game didn't tell you his name was Iggy, you wouldn't know what it was.

There is only one, annoying song in the whole game, and it loops every 15 seconds (literally, I timed it). The sound effects are annoying too. Every time you pick up a chick, you hear a really high pitched chirp. The game would be best played on mute.

Difficulty: 6/10

This game is pretty hard, which is a good thing in my opinion, but the reason I didn't give it a higher score is because most of the difficulty roots in the problems I mentioned in the Gameplay section. The game would still be challenging even if it was made ideally, but not nearly as much.

Timelength/Replayability: Variable

This depends on how much the sound and faults bother you. If it annoys you too much, then you'll probably just put it down and let the dust settle on it. If you, for some reason, enjoy the faults and the challenge, then you'll probably play this game a hundred times before you beat it.

Overall: 3/10 (Wasn't supposed to be an average, but I checked and it turned out to be the average anyway)

This game was created for the wrong system in the wrong decade. Some people actually like this game, so if you think you're one of them, go ahead and get this game. I made this review so that normal people won't be mislead into getting this game, since most people would just be disappointed.

Rating:   1.5 - Bad