Review by Myzery_Clown

Reviewed: 09/16/03

I've always wanted to belch a sicly green cloud in the direction of a law enforcement officer.

Guilty as charged. Convicted on all counts. I never did fall into the Beavis and Butthead craze. Once they'd garnered a national reputation for their dastardly antics and inappropriate mannerisms, I spoke out along with the rest of my generation in their defense. But I certainly didn't set aside their time slot on a regular basis simply to ensure I saw their show. I probably haven't seen any more than four of their rebellious adventures until quite recently. All that considered, I still opted to snatch up the game from a garage sale whose selection had been quite meager. And one thing is for sure. Fan of their TV escapades or not, I found their video game incarnation to be an intriguing one to say the very least.

Our favorite troublemakers have gotten ahold of tickets to tonight's GWAR concert. Who is GWAR? I don't know. Remember, I'm not a hardcore Beavis and Buttheadohalic. Even so, I've heard that GWAR isn't even represented within TV land. Who they are doesn't really matter after a poodle gets its paws on the tickets anyway. And as if that wasn't bad enough, Mr. Anderson and his villainous lawn mower put the finishing touches on shredding the tickets into nine pieces and scattering them all around the city. Of course, Beavis and Butthead will under no conditions stand by and accept this injustice. They set out to relocate the priceless pieces of paper, and the local Lost ‘N Found isn't where they're going to start.

A handful of missions are the premise for regaining your tickets. These tasks, which can be done in no particular order, will eventually grant you your tickets and a little humor besides. Zany methods of recovery are the order of the day here, from scaring the fecal matter out of a soldier to grab a ticket from his office to feeding rats to a fast food customer in the attempt of making them vomiting up their slice of your concert entry pass. Arm yourself with a toy gun and put the thuggin' on an oilman. Steal his oil and sneak off to the Laundromat, where you can find one of your ticket pieces trapped inside one of the cleaning consoles. Of course, you'll have to put some oil on the door first, or the old crab of a lady sleeping there will pounce on you, taking you back to the restart screen where you can laboriously put in the password of your last saved entry.

Innovative and laughable tactics abound are what set Beavis and Butthead up on a pedestal of decency. There are, however, some errors and shortcomings that tarnish the whacky Beavis and Butthead method of retrieval. Enemies, after being busted up with the toy gun or one of our two protagonists' gaseous attacks, will fall backwards off the screen, in some instances. Even though they're off the screen, you can't necessarily assume that they have been sufficiently neutralized. Forgivable after a while, this flaw can be quite aggravating the first few times you encounter it. This and a sprinkling of other AI and enemy structured based faults make for some of the humor to be wiped away in brief glimpses of gamer's frustration.

This isn't to say the experience of getting back your GWAR tickets isn't at least fun for a playthrough. Figuring out all of the different methodology behind obtaining the nine ticket pieces is somewhat a challenge to the mind, and those that have always been able to relate with Beavis and Butthead's behavior won't resist chuckling at Beavis's trademark snicker or Butthead turning around to deliver a lethal blast to some poor sap of a guard. Options for an alternate ending and two player cooperative support add a bit of spice to the title for an afternoon or so.

Aesthetically, Beavis and Butthead does a surprisingly good job recreating the cartoon atmosphere. Even with the low color pallet of the Genesis, the animated image is still represented with decent accuracy. Music is little more than looping tunes for a number of seconds. Likewise, most of the sound is repetitive and unremarkable, including the few voice clips dedicated to the irksome duo. These flavorless offerings don't add much to the game, but in their defense they don't detract from it either.

A fan of the cartoon itself or not, I can say with confidence that Beavis and Butthead was worth the couple of bucks I spent on it. It suffers from a few technical flaws that any true gaming excursion couldn't be excused from but when one takes into account that this is simply a licensing cash in on a quirky franchise, I can be a touch more patient. The most likely chance of you getting your hands on a copy will probably be much the same as how I came across it. If so, the few bucks it requires wouldn't be considered ill spent.