Review by tilded

Reviewed: 12/09/01 | Updated: 03/17/03

Oh, How I love this game!

The first game created by Treasure, Gunstar Heroes is a fun, addictive side scrolling action shoot 'em up game with an anime feel.

But, don't for one second think this is an ordinary action game. Both characters have moves other than shooting, you can throw robots, and there's a way to block.

This is one of those rare gems that you play, sell, and then search Ebay thoroughly for another copy of it (I know from experience, my dad sold it thinking I didn't want it).

Story: 5 out of 10
It's your basic ''guy wants to take over the world'' plot, but it doesn't matter since it's a shoot 'em up game. The plot isn't horrible or anything, it's just a really, really typical story.

Graphics: 10 out of 10
This game pushed the Sega Genesis to it's limits. The anime based graphics are bright and colorful and help set the mood in the game. Though by todays standards, these graphics aren't the best, back then, these were top notch.

Sound: 6 out of 10
The music isn't really that noticeable at first, but once you play the game, you enjoy the music. It goes along great with the different levels.

Both characters have a yelling sound too, which is always fun to hear.

Gameplay: 10 out of 10
Gunstar Heroes features two characters, and four basic weapons. You start out by picking one of the four weapons (force, fire, lightning, chaser) and during the levels you'll have chances to pick up another weapon. Once you get another weapon, they combine and make another weapon (Fire + Chaser = A flame that will chase enemies). This adds some extra fun to the game so you can try out different weapons and see what your favorite combo is.

Gunstar Heroes also features two playable characters. Their differences (besides their looks) is that one can shoot while moving (free shot) and one must shoot standing still, but he can shoot in eight directions (fixed shot). The fixed shot character also has more moves than the free shot character.

So, what's up with this?
This is a classic action game that I've enjoyed for years. Even after you've beaten it, it's always fun to go through later. I remember days where me and friends would gather around and play this game for hours. Oh how I miss those days.

So, if you're an action fan, you should get this game. There is always something exploding in this game.