Review by Gamerater66

Reviewed: 07/17/12

One of the greatest games ever made

The Nintendo series consoles had Contra (pretty good)... the Neo-Geo had Metal Slug (again, still good)... and the Genesis had the legendary game known as Gunstar Heroes. It had everything you'd expect in an incredible shoot-em-up video game! This game took everything from both said games, gave them upgrades, and delivered the goods for all shoot-em-up fans. It truly deserves an award for one of the greatest games ever made, and as always, let me elaborate.

Plot/Storyline: This part was incredibly phenomenal. A world in trouble, and a pair of Gunstars who plan to save it all... you couldn't get anything better than this.

Weapons: This game's weapons are even more phenomenal. Crazy guns, explosions, powerups, and most of all, destruction are some of the best parts here.

Controls: This game actually controls really well. It was hard for me at first, but then I got used to it. That said, it has to be great giving good controls to an even better game. Controls are some of the best (and important) controls in a video game, and we finally got it.

Characters: Even if the characters don't have legally given names, the characters themselves are absolutely flawless. A doctor who betrayed evil and went to good and an evil emperor have to be the best in the game.

Gameplay: Not only does the gameplay get great solo... it gets even better playing co-op! That's right: 2D co-op Shoot-em-up goodness.

Bosses: The bosses play very smoothly and beautifully amazing. They have to be the best in a 2D Shoot-em-up!

Ending: The ending was great for a game with a flawless plot (look above). And the credits aren't too bad either.

Reboots/Sequels: This truly must-be-owned game was so awesome it got 2 sequels. They're Gunstar Super Heroes (Game Boy Advance) and an iOS port of the same game. I was so happy that it even happened, I might actually pick up one of them. But do you think the Gunstar Heroes franchise will ever make another good game? Quite possibly.

That said, Gunstar Heroes feels incredibly great not just to see, but also to own. (if you own a Genesis, anyway) Putting yourself in the shoes of a person who must save the world from disaster really felt great because you get to play as him. That said, Gunstar Heroes may very well be the best Genesis game ever made. Thanks for reading, and I'll see you guys next time.

Product Release: Gunstar Heroes (US, 09/09/93)