When you use a Personality book does it stack with your starting personality?

1. I recently started playing the Dragon Quest series, and I'm currently on DQ3. It almost seems that when you read a personality attribute book or put on a piece of personality changing gear it stacks on top of your starting personality. I'm not good or motivated enough to do the math, and I've spent a bit of time searching sites and wikis', but haven't been successful in finding an answer. I've seen some really smart people giving detailed answers here and thought someone from this community may be able to answer this for me. I'm playing an SNES remake version on rom. Thank you.

Btw I really love this series-DQ3 is simply amazing (for it's time ofc) and only has a few flaws imo.

User Info: Zombre

Zombre - 2 years ago

1. The personalities do not stack, they change you to a different personality. Equipment that changes your personality is temporary and your attributes will change at level up based on the percentages listed for that personality, but only while that equipment is worn by the character at level up. If you change the equipment, take off the equipment that gave a personality change, then the personality goes back to the one you started with (or the one you had before equipping something).

Books on the other hand change the personality permanently, unless you equip something that changes a personality or read a different book.

Some equipment or books will only work for certain characters. There is a good listing in BSulpher's FAQ of the percentages that apply to each personality.

For example, if you have the Agile personality then at level up you should gain roughly 90% of the average strength for your character type, 120% of the average agility for your character type, 90% of the average vitality for your character type, 100% intelligence, and 80% luck. When I say character type I mean like if your character is a merchant then the stats will be based on merchant type characters average stats.

In other words, the stat increases at level up are not set, and they still vary, but a personality can help improve a stat over time or over a number of level ups.

Enjoy!

User Info: chaoyun2k

chaoyun2k (Expert) - 2 years ago 3   0
  2. There is still some randomness to the level ups, two merchants with the agile personality will have slightly different stats after 20 levels - but their stats should be similar, just not the same.

User Info: chaoyun2k

chaoyun2k - 2 years ago
  3. Thank you for taking the time to answer I really do appreciate it. Yeah, I'll check my xp and sometimes throw on a piece of gear just to get that bonus for that level, but then take it off afterwards. I was just hoping if I switched gear or read a book it would stack because I had my thief with sharp, hero with fearless, fighter with sexy and I didn't want to lose those personalities. Also, it seems like my thief is gaining stats much faster than the rest of the party, which made me think maybe she was getting stacked stat increases upon leveling up. Anyway thank you very much and yes I am enjoying this game! :)

User Info: Zombre

Zombre - 2 years ago