Review by Cooper

Reviewed: 12/30/00 | Updated: 12/30/00

Helicopter action on Game Boy !!

At first, the Army Men series didn't really spark my interest, that is, until they put out the Air Combat variation for the N64. I got this game and I absolutely loved it. It was and still is so much fun, especially in two-player co-op mode. Anyway, when I heard there was going to be one for GBC, I got excited about it. I couldn't wait to see how much fun that version would be. I got it recently and I was not disappointed. The levels are similar, but they aren't exactly the same, and in truth, if you aren't careful, the GBC version is more difficult than the one for N64. The only thing that I believe this game lacked was a two-player mode through game-link cable.

Gameplay-8
The gameplay in this game is very good. You get good control of your chopper, although it was tricky at first to get used to it. You have a wide variety of tasks to perform, some of which are easy, and some are very hard. You have a large array of weapons. These include the machine gun, rockets, homing rockets, and of course napalm. You also get several different power ups, which can make you go faster, make you invincible, or increase your life bar. The speed and invincibility power ups only last for a little while though. Another plus about this game is the variety of helicopters. You get the UH-1 Huey, CH-53 Super Stallion, and AH-64 Apache. I know this is a review, but since I am such as aviation buff, I am going to tell a little about each chopper and what its strengths and weaknesses are.

UH-1 Huey: This helo is my personal favorite. It is the helo you start out with. It is the fastest and most agile chopper in the game. It is slowed somewhat when you are carrying and item such as a battery, but if you know what you are doing, you can manage. Even though it has the weakest weapons and armor, if you use your speed and agility to your advantage, you will do quite well.

CH-53 Super Stallion: The Stallion is your heavy hauler, and suffers almost no loss of speed or agility when carrying something. It has upgraded weapons and armor over the Huey, but is slower and less agile, plus it is a bigger target for the enemy. It is pretty good overall, and it is perfect for those missions when you must deliver supplies, batteries, etc.

AH-64 Apache: The Apache is the ultimate in plastic toy technology, and you can't go wrong with it. It has the most powerful weapons and armor. It is a better lifter than the Huey, but can match the Stallion for hauling power. It is faster and more agile than the Stallion, but it can't match the Huey in raw speed and maneuverability. It is a great chopper to have though and you will really kick butt in it.

Graphics-8
The graphics in this game are very good, especially for Game Boy. The colors are vibrant, and you can clearly see things, although the soldiers do look kinda funny.

Sound-7
This is probably the lowest rating I will give any category for this game. The sound is just normal Game Boy music and SFX. You can't expect too much, but hey, the sound works for me.

Controls-8
The controls are a bit hard to get used to at first, especially if you are used to playing this type game with the analog stick on the N64. It does have two separate control options though, so you do have some choice on how you control your chopper. Once you get used to one control style, you will be fine and enjoy the game much more.

Difficulty-8
Once you get used to the controls this game is somewhat easier, but don't get me wrong. It is not a cake walk. There are certain tactics that I use that allow me to get though most levels with only a little bit of fuss. Don't expect to just head full speed into a crowd of guard towers, troops, tanks, and jeeps and expect to blow them all up, because you will be ripped to pieces. I will let you figure out your own tactics, but one thing I will tell you that for most people should be rather obvious. USE YOUR MAP. This will help you tremendously, especially if you get lost or need to find the quickest way to an objective.

Overall-8
I am very glad I have this game. It was tough at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is really a lot of fun. The only two things that could make it better are the addition of a two-player mode with the game-link cable and putting the Chinook back in that game for those of you that liked that particular chopper in the N64 version.

Would you recommend this