Why are the L & R buttons not working and how can they be fixed?

1. Both the L & R buttons on my gameboy advance sp have stopped working. The L button dosen't work at all and the R button has to be jammed down to work, How can this be fixes? And How did it happen to begin with

User Info: Alakazamtrainer

Alakazamtrainer - 11 years ago

1. Listen to me *shakes you*. Just kidding. Okay I had the same problem with my DS Lite. It is simply dust/etc.

First, become calm. Now, get your mouth dry-ish. Now, look directly at the L button. Lift it up slightly and blow and don't get it wet. Now, get a bird's-eye view of the GBA's L. Push it slightly away from the GBA and blow down there. Repeat this process with the R button.

This method gave my R the ability to work with light taps.

Now then, it'll take awhile of this, maybe several months, until this process needs to stop being done.

User Info: KeyBlade999

KeyBlade999 - 11 years ago 8   4

Answers

1. Call Nintendo (1-800-255-3700) and see what they can do for you.

User Info: SolidSnakeFan77

SolidSnakeFan77 - 9 years ago 1   2
  2. You need to send it off for repair and I don't think you can prevent it from happening again, just try to be careful and keep it clean in future.

User Info: itwizz

itwizz - 11 years ago 2   4
  3. Blow the intersections where the cracks are this will remove any dust in it or keep mashing the buttons until it works.

User Info: cr4zyyxm4n

cr4zyyxm4n - 11 years ago 1   3
  4. @cr4zyyxm4n

I think it was the mashing that caused it in the first place, if it isn't dust.

User Info: KeyBlade999

KeyBlade999 - 11 years ago 1   3
  5. it is Because you use it a lot in your game i suggest you keep on hitting those buttons that is why they dont work.
    i say that give it to the store where you brought the gba and ask them to repair it give it to you if not play another game which do not require the l and r buttons

User Info: aurobind2000

aurobind2000 - 11 years ago 1   3
  6. You may have played it a lot and/or didn't take proper care of your GBA. You need to call the service number in one of the precautions booklets that came with your GBA or find one in one of your game cases. Hope this helps!

User Info: smashbrosbar21

smashbrosbar21 - 11 years ago 2   5
  7. If you are willing to risk opening it yourself (Note - I do NOT recommend this as you're asking this question), then you can get a Gamebit tri-wing screwdriver, and open the GBA, and simply give the guts of the GBA a clean-out, and reset the contact pads, which may have slipped.

Bear in mind that if your GBA is under warranty at all, doing this WILL invalidate it.

User Info: Gunbladelad

Gunbladelad - 11 years ago 2   5