Review by ShadowTheDestroyer

Reviewed: 08/15/03

Not much evolution here.

Alienators: Evolution Continues

I got my GameBoy Advance for my birthday, and with it came this game. That is one of the reasons I have not gotten rid of it yet. Its not that it is not a good game, it's just that after a while, it is no longer fun. There are a few problems, most of which will be discussed in the review.

This is a platformer along the lines of ''Contra'', but less intense. You will go around levels, find keys, seal vents, climb ladders, find weapons, open door, and shoot aliens. Not a bad combination. There aren't problems with the controls.

Very little of a learning curve. Anyone can pick it up and play it, but in the later levels, the game can get unforgiving and frustrating.

One of the main problems I had with this game was constantly respawning monsters. Every time you leave a room and come back, the monsters come back with you. This can lead to cheap hits, for some monsters spawn right outside doors.

The game takes place in a lab, which is as good of a setting as any. It can get repetitive, and the objectives become reused and boring in later levels. There are only so many times I want to find a keycard, or seal ten vents before the time runs out before I become frustrated and turn the game off.

One other minor problem I had with the game was that there was no save function included. It does provide passwords, which is better than nothing, but they can get lengthy. In this day and age, a battery back up save system is almost commonplace.

Not a bad story. An alien life form, which was thought to be under containment, has gotten out in a testing facility. You, Dr. Ira Kane, are sent to take care of and investigate the matter. While not altogether original, it makes for a good setting in the game.

No twists and turns to the plot, fairly cut and dry.

Audio/visual: 7/10

Pretty good by today's standards. The character animations are fluid, weapons look good, and enemies are beautifully animated. The sound is somewhat lacking, however, and some weapons sound the same.

Replay Value: Low.

There is nothing to unlock in this game, so unless you are a fan of the game, there is little incentive to go back and finish it again.

PROS:

+ Throwback to old school platformers.
+ Interesting weapons.
+ Good Story.
+ Fun graphics.

CONS:

- No save system.
- Passwords are long.
- Respawning monsters cause cheap hits.
- Little variation in the level objectives.
- No longer fun after first play-through.

FINAL VERDICT:
Good game if you are a fan of platforming and are looking for a challenge, but the game is very cut and dry.
7/10 (not an average)