Review by Mr Pibb

Reviewed: 07/10/01 | Updated: 01/17/02

the thrill of Mr Driller from the arcades is in YOUR hands!

Mr. Driller, a game that gets very little recognition even though it is in arcades and on consoles world wide. Well, the second game in the Mr. Driller series, Mr. Driller 2 makes its way onto the game boy advance. I was a little upset that I had to play the port from the arcade on such a small screen, but since I'm such a big fan of the series, I got it anyway.

I searced for this elusive game, and after 2 months of searching, I found it online, and ordered it..... waited another month, and FINALLY it's MINE to review!

So without further babbling, here is the review:

The graphics of Mr. Driller 2 are simply beautiful. They are so close to the arcade version that its not even funny! Mr. Driller for gbc was a great game, but the graphics totally brought it down. This version is a total run around. The blocks are crisply colored, the animation for Sasumu is superb, and there are no more ''dissapearing'' blocks. If you thought the cute cartoonie graphics from Mr Driller were great, you'll be very happy with these.
10/10

The sound in this game is also quite good. There are tons of voice clips, and the music is quite similar to the dreamcast version of Mr. Driller 1. The game boy advance doesn't have a strong speaker, so when you put the volume up to the highest, it is ok but a little distorted. This is the only ''problem'' with the game.
7/10

Mr. Driller 2 has perfect control. You move left, right, up, down, and push a,b,l,r to drill. Simple and great!
10/10

Since my Japanese reading skills are far under par, I can't tell what the story really is, but it seems like the blocks are invading different parts of the world, and Sasumu tries to save the world. A new character comes and tries to beat him to it (I think). Im not sure exactly, but the game isn't great because of the story.
?/10

Summary:

If you liked the first Mr. Driller, then this is a must have game. I know it's hard to get, but when you do get it and play it, you feel VERY rewarded. I suggest that everyone with a game boy advance goes out right now to their import store, and pick it up (if it's in stock).
The only con is the sound, but that's the gba's speakers fault, not the game's. So, Namco makes another great game, that will please everyone! Keep your fingers crossed for a console release!

overall=9/10