Review by dmon2

Reviewed: 12/28/02 | Updated: 12/28/02

Buy. This. Game.

First there were the days of Red, Green/Blue, and Yellow.
Then came Gold, Silver, and Crystal, and those games blew RGBY our of the water.

Game Boy Advance steps up to the plate with Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire. I tell you, these games are absolutely amazing. A nice 135 pokémon have been added, bringing the total to 386 different pokémon to catch and raise! You are able to play as a boy or girl trainer, and both of them are different from the ones in GSC. Instead of being a power-hungry lunatic who constantly puts you down, the rival in Ruby and Sapphire seems much kinder, and even gives you items along the way. Whoever you pick as your trainer (the boy or girl), the other one ends up being your rival. There's also a mysterious second rival in this game who teaches you how to capture pokémon. He also fights you occasionally. A bit tougher than your normal rival, but you see a lot more of your rival.

The number one thing I love about this game, is that it is absolutely necessary to fight every trainer. No more coasting through the game. The Gym Leaders in this game are tough, with the first Gym having a level 16 pokémon! Fighting wild pokémon is a must. Team Rocket (unfortunately) is out of the picture in this series, and two new teams, Team Aqua and Team Magma, have taken their place. Both teams are in both games, but you battle Team Aqua and Magma in Sapphire, and Ruby, respectively. Fishing is also a bit tougher in this series, no more free catches for you, you gotta work for your fish =) Also new to the Pokémon series is the Pokémon Contest, where pokémon compete to win ribbons in different events.

You see the lame graphics of RGBY, and the mediocre graphics of GSC. If all you care about is graphics in a game, this is the game for you. The graphics in this game are fantastic. It rains and snows in some places, and the tall grass even shakes when you walk through it! Water ripples when you walk through it too.

Since this game isn't out in English yet, it's hard to accurately explain the storyline. Basically, it's just like any other pokémon game: Get your starter, fight trainers, win badges, stop the bad guys, beat the Elite 4, you're a great trainer and all that jazz. There is much to do after beating the Elite Four, however, so don't let this game sound boring!

Music: 9/10
I love the music in this game. Very catchy, and can be listened to even after a long time of playing it. I personally like the rival's theme.

Pokémon Availability (out of 386 total): 6/10
Even though there are a massive 386 pokémon out there, there are only 202 that you can capture between Ruby/Sapphire.. without cheating. You can't trade with previous versions, either. We're all wondering: Where did all the pokémon go?

Replay Value: 10/10
This game just doesn't get old. With so many pokémon, how can it? Trying different battle strategies, different pokémon to raise..how can it get boring?

Buy or Rent?:
If you like Pokémon, definitely buy it, I guarantee you will not be disappointed =) If you don't like Pokémon...why are you reading my review? =( Rent it, and give it a try!

Overall Score: 9/10.