Review by DarkBlumiere

Reviewed: 06/12/08

Look, everybody, it's the fourth unforgivable curse.

I have been a huge fan of the Harry Potter games ever since I played the first one one for PC. As the movies came out, I bought the games around the times the movies were released and loved each of them. So, after coming home from Goblet of Fire, I pull out my copy and eagerly put it into the Gamecube. I hated this game so much that it was a disgrace to the Harry Potter series.

Story
Well, the story isn't bad actually. It follows the events of Goblet of Fire. You get a screen, and you have to do certain objectives to unlock the three tasks that you must complete. They also threw in the part with the Dark Mark at the Quiddich World Cup. The story is one of the highlights of this game.

Controls
I can't really complain about the controls either. The spell movements and button movements are smooth and easy to use. This made the game slightly enjoyable because it was easy to maneuver.

Graphics
The graphics were pretty good. The environments were well touched and presented/enhanced game play to an enjoyable level. They were nicely done overall.

Music
The music was pretty good. The Harry Potter theme was the main highlight. Nothing else really was that much of a wow, so to speak.

7/10

Content
This is where the game phails the most. First of all, there is no exploration of Hogwarts Castle like in 1, 2, and 3. You get a screen with Dumbledore's pensive that lists all the tasks you can do. That was a major disappointment because I enjoyed exploring Hogwarts in the other three, so that was a letdown. Second of all, you have to find certain objects to unlock the tasks. This is expected, but they are so annoying to find. Plus, you have to keep playing the same levels over and over and over again. The tasks were pretty good and really fun, but the two major phails before it made it, overall, not so fun. However, there is a multiplayer mode that you can go through the game with two people, which was something different they added in.

Fun Factor
This game is not fun at all. The tasks were the only fun thing about this game. As much as it kills me, I can't honestly say that this was fun. In my opinion, it is the worst of the Harry Potter games thus far.

Replay Value
This game has absolutely no replay value whatsoever. You will probably quit this game in frustration, and you won't want to play it again if you do beat it. That's how bad this game is.

1/10

Overall
This game is receiving a 4.2 or 4 from me. This game had a lot of potential to live up to the last three, but this game was severely ruined. They cut out Hogwarts exploration which was a major loss to the Harry Potter Series. Overall, this was a pretty bad game. I would recommend that you rent this game, or you shouldn't even play it at all. It would scar you if you were a major fan of the series like I am. This game had some good mechanics, but the content didn't live up to the presentation.

Recap
Controls: 8/10
Music: 7/10
Content: 1/10
Fun Factor: 1/10
Replay Value: 1/10

Rating:   2.0 - Poor

Product Release: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (US, 11/08/05)