Review by MegaHomeyX

Reviewed: 12/11/06

Reminds me of Return of the King... fortunately that's a good thing

The Chronicles of Narnia. Y'know, normally I don't like games made from movies. They seem to be poorly done, their only real selling point being the movie. It makes me go ugh, really. Every now and then, though, a good one will show up. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King are two of them. This game, though unrelated to the other two, makes a third.

Story (8/10): I give the story a strong score because it follows the movie well and I liked the movie's story. Unfortunately for those who didn't see the movie, the cutscenes don't go out of their way to show the whole story to you. If you didn't see the movie, read the book, or get some kind of plot synopsis then there will be parts of the game where you go, "Wait, what the heck happened there?!" I don't want to spoil much, but when one of the members of your party is taken out of the game for a bit you'll be wondering just what happened there. Of course, if you've seen the movie the plot is already revealed to you and you'll know just what happened. In that case, you should be able to fill in the plot holes quite easily and the story will flow just fine.

Graphics (9/10): The cutscenes are flawless. The graphics are practically flawless (enough to get a 10). So why a 9? The transition between the two is a bit less than perfect. Well, not the transition itself, more of the fact that, despite both being of high quality, the cutscenes and in-game graphics don't go really well together so the transition seems a bit unappealing. Nothing to worry about since the game doesn't make this transition too often (in terms of how much time you spend playing). There's also a slight hit in this category in that it's hard to tell when you've blocked a foe's attack.

Sound/Music (10/10): They use music from the movie, and since the movie's music is great and they didn't mess up the sounds, I give it a 10.

Gameplay (9/10): Very reminiscient of Return of the King. You start with basic moves but purchase more with money found in play. You can team up with siblings (all of whom you control, one at a time) to perform special moves. Your equipment depends upon which level you're in, and sometimes you have to find it in level (many times you'll begin unarmed). Each character brings their own skills to the game, except for Edmund who seems to be mostly a carbon copy of Peter (though the two have different abilities when teamed up with their siblings). It can get challenging at points, especially during the first boss fight, where the game decides to stop babying you . Boss fights, by the way, tend to require not only a good grasp on the controls, but a good use of your head in order to win. The only hit I give to gameplay is due to blocking/parrying. It seems difficult to tell when you've blocked an attack from certain enemies, which means you might stop blocking too early and take the hit anyway.

Replayability (7/10): Unfortunately, this game doesn't seem (to me) to have the same flare as Return of the King. What I mean is it doesn't draw me back for another go-through quite as easily. Sure, there is two-player co-op mode, so if you have a friend who likes to beat the snot out of monsters you might be able to get more out of the game. However, this game's strong suit doesn't seem to be in replayability (I'm not saying that it's not fun to play again, I'm just saying that you probably won't want to play a second time quite as much as you wanted to play a first).

Overall (8+9+10+9+7)/5 = 8.6

Rounded, that means this game gets a 9/10 from me.

Buy or Rent: The game is quality, but it doesn't have a huge replayability, so I'm torn here. I bought my copy for $19.95, so since it's not overly expensive at the moment, I almost want to say "Buy", but it's really a toss-up. You might rent it first and see if it's the kind of game you'd want to keep, or just take a chance and buy it outright. That choice, I leave to you.