Review by Paul198912

Reviewed: 01/02/03 | Updated: 01/02/03

Sonic's old-school butt kicking is back!

Sonic's back in all his greatest moments on the Sega Genesis. I thought it was too good to be true when I heard that all 7 Sonic classics would be put into a single Gamecube game, but it's not. Every game from the original Sonic the Hedgehog to Sonic 3D Blast is in here, including some awesome unlockable games and secrets. Aside from the games, it also as lots of bonus features. You can see covers from Sonic comics, cool pictures of Sonic and his pals, and watch movies, including some footage from the upcoming Sonic Advance 2. If you're skeptical about checking this game out, I sincerely advise you to. Let's go a little more in depth.

Gameplay (9/10):
If you remember the days of Genesis, all you had to do was press either A, B, or C to jump. I was a little unsure how controls would convert to the Gamecube controller. However, the controls are easy enough to master in just the first time you play (considering they tell you exactly what buttons do what when you start a game). You can either press B, A, or X to jump, whichever is most comfortable for you. (This does not apply to Sonic Spinball or Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.)

After learning the controls, you're off. You basically navigate Sonic through worlds, while destroying robotic animals and dodging tricky surprises, such as spikes and fire. At the end of the final act, you fight Dr. Robotnik. These fights usually take some good timing and quick thinking.

Story (6/10):
I considered not even including a story section, because the story doesn't even really play a major part in the game. I mean, in most of the games, you're basiclly trying to stop Robotnik from carrying out some evil plan. Although whenever I play these games, I usually just go through the levels and forget all about the story. The levels just kinda mush together. No transitions, no explaining what happened when you destroyed Robotnik in the previous level. You just appear at the next level and kind of just forget about the story line and try to destroy Robotnik again.

Graphics and Sound (8/10):
The graphics in these games are pretty good, considering they are 2D. They have nice backgrounds and unusual looking bad guys. While you're playing, you don't really think about the graphics. All you're thinking about is stopping Robotnik.

The music and sound effects in these games are exactly what Sonic fans usually remember. They have catchy little music going on in the background, that little sound it makes when you jump on a bad guy, and of course, the famous noise when you collect a ring. And then there's always the sound of you hitting a bad guy and losing your rings, but that's another thing.

Replayability (9/10):
This is what Sonic games are all about. Playing through the all the levels while kicking Robotnik's sorry butt the first time is always fun, but doing it again is just as fun. Especially Sonic Spinball. This game is so addictive that you have to play it again and again (although it can also be very frustrating).

Once you beat a game on this Mega Collection, it's almost impossible not to play it again.

Overall (9/10):
This is one of the most fun, challenging, and addictive games for the Gamecube I've played. When you beat all 7 Sonic games, there are still unlockable games to get. This game will have you playing Sonic until you know every level of every game by heart.

Buy or Rent?
If you remember the days of Sonic on Genesis and loved them, then you should definitely buy this game. If you are too young to even know what a Sega Genesis is but has played Sonic Advance and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, then I recommend you rent it first, just to be on the safe side. If you've never played a Sonic game in your life but you're interested, rent it and decide for yourself.