Review by ToejamAndEarlRock

Reviewed: 01/01/03 | Updated: 01/01/03

It's 7 games in one, but only 5 are really worth playing.

When I first heard about Sonic Mega Collection being on sale, I thought it was going to be better than I expected. I have my own separate review for these games:

Sonic 1: The Blue Blur's first ultimate classic, and it was a great game! The special stage was creative, and the gameplay was challenging.

Sonic 2: The best game in the series! In this game, there was a new feature, the Spin Dash. And Sonic had a sidekick, Tails (a two-tailed fox). If you collect all the Chaos Emeralds (which can be pretty hard), Sonic can transform into Super Sonic! This game was longer than the original, though.

Sonic 3: Another awesome game. I think this one has the best Special Stage. This game has a ''Save Feature,'' so you can save your game, stop playing, and then come back later. Also TAILS CAN FLY! I think that's the best part of the whole game!

Sonic & Knuckles: Play as Sonic or Knuckles in this decent game similar to Sonic 3.

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: A puzzle game similar to ''Puyo Puyo.'' As the beans drop, rotate them. If you get 4 beans of the same color to touch each other, they will disappear. Quite fun, and adictive.

Sonic Spinball: If Sonic Team could make a mistake, this is their first one. Sonic must navigate through a couple of hard pinball mazes. Sonic Spinball was a really stupid idea.

Sonic 3D Blast: ARRRGH! YUUUUUUCK! HATE! HATE! HATE! This was the worst Sonic game on the Genesis, and they HAD to add it to the collection. In this game, you have to run around a confusing 3D area, collecting stupid birds, and sending them to a teleporter. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

As you can see, 5 out of the 7 games are good. And the other two? Don't bother. Sonic CD would have also made a good selection.

Final Scores:
Audio: A nice colection of 16-bit audio. Score: 8.1
Fun: A lot of fun. Score: 8.7
Replay: Five of the games are really repetive. Score: 6.5
Avg: 7.7
B/R/N: Buy or rent. If you already have the frst 3 sonic games, Sonic & Knuckles, and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, then don't bother.

Game Score: 7
This is the first time I've given a Sonic game higher than a 3. 7 is much higher than a 3. Sonic Shuffle, SA2, and SA2B were really bad.