Review by Zak X

Reviewed: 11/30/02 | Updated: 11/30/02

Lazy or Classic?

To begin, the Sonic Mega Collection for you folks living under a rock, is a compilation of Sonic's old Genesis games, such as Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Spinball, 3d Blast, and Mean Bean Machine.

My first problem came from the graphics. Either the Sonic Team didn't want to change the classic graphics, or they were too lazy to update them a bit. Other than that, the rest of it seemed up to par. Old sound effects, same levels, same style, but you just expected more from it than what they gave. None of the games have been changed much, if at all, from their style.

The final problem comes from the games on the set itself. Hello? Sonic team? Everyone who's played Sonic games has pretty much played this. Why not put the smaller hit titles that people couldn't access so easily, such as Sonic Jam, Sonic CD, and Sonic R?

Overall, the package is worth the money. Why? Those old Sonic Carts won't last forever, but this DVD can last the rest of your life. Hopefully, the Sonic Team will be releasing another pack, with those smaller hit titles...

Graphics: 710
=================
They're awesome for their time, especially 3d blast, but falls short in today's gaming world.

Sound: 910
=================
The Sonic Team's old level music is near impossible to beat. Catchy tunes that never get old, and you can just imagine what they would sound like in full instrumental. Now, if they had hauled off and re-made at least a few of the game's key tracks.... This would have been perfect.

Control: 1010
==================
Sonic games have always had perfect control. There's never a problem getting Sonic and Co. to do what you want. If you can't make them do it, then it's your fault, not the game's.

Fun: 810
==================
The Collection game a little to small, a little too late. I had the games on Emus before they made this, but playing the games one more time on a console just had that wonderful feeling of Deja Vu.

Overall: 710
==================
What the heck? 7? The only problem was we've all pretty much played the games before, and they're fun, but they needed some spice to do better, which really forces me to push the Overall score lower than the average of other scores.

Come on Sonic Team. Give us Sonic CD, Sonic Jam, and Sonic R, with better graphics....