Review by Flow Omnicide

Reviewed: 11/17/02 | Updated: 11/17/02

Want to see me go from here to Japan? Wanna see me do it again?

Introduction
After Sonic Jam on Saturn, I expected a lot more out of this game. Still, it is nice to play these games on a reliable console. It decayed from its predecessor, but there’s still some great balance to this game.

You’ll get to play 7 games. Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball, and Dr Robotnick’s Mean Bean Machine. All of them great games in their own light. In addition, you get some extra features such as a few movie clips, virtual manuals for each game, most of the Archie Sonic comic covers that have debuted in America, and 5 unlockable games.

The games in the compilation all come from the Genesis system, a 16-bit monolith in its time. Don’t expect great Game Cube graphics, instead, expect a bunch of neat-o games you could play for just 40 bucks. And with that, we go into the review.

Graphics
Just as colorful and smooth as the originals. The Game Cube does a good job at restoring the freshness of the Genesis. Plus you don’t have to stick a shoe under that darned AF cable again… Mmm… Double-digit bits… 10/10

Audio
No problems here. The music and sound effects that had heightened the gameplay experience before actually sound better. There are some zone music that still drives me crazy (Particularly the Labyrinth in Sonic 1), but that’s okay. Love that Final Boss music in Sonic 2 too. 9/10

Heeeeeey… The Sonic 1 reset glitch it still there… Cool. The controls for the games consist of jump buttons and then the d-pad or analog stick to run. There are also those extra controls on the other games, but they’re easy too. Dr Robotnick’s Mean Bean Machine still addicting, great. Sonic’s Spinball’s jump still annoying, die. Where the games present to you is pretty cool too. The little actions the characters like Knuckles or Robotnick help put things into perspective. 9.5/10

Sonic Mega Collection Features
This is where the CD loses points… I’m not sure why the producers decided that a collection of Sonic Comic covers were worth sacrificing valuable game space, but they’re still kind of neat… The movies aren’t that great as Sonic Jam’s either, I wish there could have been more… And the unlockables WILL anger up the blood if you were looking forward to 12 games. The game shouldn’t be downgraded all because the producers decided to go in different ways than other compilation makers (ie. Super Mario All-Stars, Sonic Jam) 3/10

Overall
If you want to enjoy this game, focus on the actual game play. You’ll regret buying this game if you think about all the crappy features. Hopefully Sega and the Sonic Team will learn from their mistakes and think about what people would enjoy best next time. The games themselves ARE great and I loved playing them now as I did when they were first released and when Sonic Jam came out. I highly recommend this game to people that love action games, or to hardcore fans like myself. 9/10