Review by Ryanbomber

Reviewed: 11/16/02 | Updated: 11/16/02

A dissapointment to Sonic Hardcore

Woohoo, Sonic Mega Collection! Alright, old games, new stuff for them, right? WRONG. They're the exact ports of the games. Here's a game by game rundown.

Sonic 1: Ah, the one that started it all. It's a little outdated, and kind of bulky without the spin dash. Still pretty fun. 7/10

Sonic 2: Yay for two-player! This has a LOT of levels. It's a blast. Same old sonic stuff, though. 8/10

Sonic 3: By far the best 16-bit sonic game. Except for Sonic 3 and Knuckles, which you won't find here(!!!). The only game with saving... 8/10

Sonic and Knuckles: Alone, it's OK, but it would be better if it had Lock-On. Which it doesn't. 7/10

Sonic Spinball: Pinball, yay. Pretty fun, but not a real sonic game. Why did they include this? 8/10

Dr. Robotnicks Mean Bean Machine: Puyo Puyo. 8/10

Sonic 3d Blast: Eeek. Clunky graphics, un-sonic gameplay, and lack of tails makes this not worth it. 5/10

There's 5 hidden games. I've found 2 in the first ten minutes. Both are bad. No spoilers, ok?

Overall, I think the game choice was a little off. They should have included better games, like Sonic CD (of course, that wasn't on Genesis, but it doesn't really matter.) And gotten rid of that artwork, which you probably have seen before (or will see, if you search the internet. It's just the same old images, most are more recent then the games on the CD.)

Unless there's another 3-5 games locked away that I haven't heard about, then this isn't worth your time if you have already played the sonic games. There's just nothing new. If you haven't, or sold away your Genesis, it's worth a rent, and probabaly a buy.

Graphics: 6/10. It's 16-bit. But of course, graphics don't make the game. Still kinda pretty.

Sound: 7/10. Again, 16-bit sounds are not the best to the ear. Catchy tunes, though.

Play Control: 8/10. Nice and smooth. Just how I like em'.

Polish: 2/10. Direct ports with no new stuff (Spin dash in sonic 1, etc) leaves me yearning for Sonic Jam. Has Sonic Team lost their touch?

Challenge: 6/10. Not too tough, but some parts can make you grunt a little.

Replay Value: 10/10. Woohoo! So many different paths in Sonic games makes me happy!

Game Choice: 3/10. They forgot Sonic CD, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic R...

OVERALL: 7/10
B+
A good buy!

Last Word: Try the game if you haven't played sonic or really want to, but don't if you have played all the games. The artwork isn't enough to buy the game, and should have been left out.