Review by irrewonderful

Reviewed: 06/06/13

Not a bad compilation

On November 10, 2002, another compilation of older Sonic games was released for the Nintendo Gamecube. It contained all of the classic games from the Sega Genesis, as well as some non-Sonic games. Personally, I have not played the games that were not Sonic-related, so I will not cover those games here. I will be basically talking about how the Sonic games for this collection fared when being ported to the Gamecube.

The Sonic games included with this compilation are Sonic 1-3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Spinball, 3D Blast, and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. The games are mostly unchanged from their original form, which is good, because I want the classic games to be presented the way they were when they were on the Genesis. However, they do look a little touched up when it comes to graphics, and the sounds have been enhanced at parts. I like the fact that the sound errors were corrected at parts, but I want the games to look just like they did before, as I do not like it when they mess with the appearance of the old games. I want to see what I did when I played the games on the Genesis, not a slightly enhanced version. Another complaint is the controller you use to play the games. It feels too different from the Genesis controller, and while it is not a bad substitute, I want to feel like I'm playing the games with the same controller. It just feels too different here. The games are still fun, though, and I pretty much get the same enjoyment from them as I did when I played them on the Genesis.

Another feature about this game is the extra stuff put in. These include things like artwork, videos, and comic books of Sonic and the other characters. I enjoy looking at all of it, and one cool thing is that it gives a preview of the then-upcoming Sonic Advance 2. It also has artwork of Cream the Rabbit and her Chao, Cheese, who would be first appearing in that game. One complaint about the videos is that some of them are outdated now, giving information that is no longer true. Examples include Sonic Adventure 2 Battle being "Now in stores" and Sonic Advance 2 being "Coming soon". This information is no longer true, and I feel that Sega should have thought that people would be playing it long after release and not put that information in there. Aside from that all the extras are pretty cool, and I like seeing the opening and closing to Sonic CD in the videos.

Overall, this is a very good compilation of older games in the series. While I did not like some of the differences that the games had from their original versions, they are still mostly just as fun. I would recommend that anyone get this game if they have not played the older games yet, and do not have the systems to play them on. My final score for this is 8/10.

Product Release: Sonic Mega Collection (US, 11/10/02)