Review by Elektra King

Reviewed: 03/15/02 | Updated: 03/15/02

A pretty good game...

I bought Dark Summit a while back without renting it first (a big no-no for any game that you know nothing about) but I won't say it was a waste of money. The game is pretty interesting and somewhat challenging and I'll tell you what I think of it.

The Graphics
The graphics are good. Not exceptional, but I would just say they are good. They could be better though. The main character you play with, Naya, is pretty ugly in my opinion. But on the box and the booklet, she doesn't look that bad. The mountains, the scenery, and everything else looks pretty good but I know the 'Cube is capable of more.

The Story Line
Good, again. The game has an okay story line but not all that great. It could have been better, more exiting, etc. There's really not a whole lot to say about the story except that you're looking for secret entrances, bomb pieces, and trying to figure out what's going down on Mt. Garrick.

The Sound
I enjoyed the music in this game, in fact, I loved it. I didn't get tired of hearing the same tunes as sometimes happens with other games. The sound effects are okay, except when you're doing one of the first challenges and the character keeps saying ''Your mother wears army boots...'' That got on my nerves after a while as I had to restart the challenge several times before I completed it.

The Gameplay
The actual gameplay is pretty average. You are completing different missions as you snowboard down the mountain. Some of them are easy and some are difficult. You can get new gear and boards by getting experience points, which are awarded when you pull off different tricks. The tricks aren't too hard to pull off, so that's a plus. But after I got as far as I could in the game, I sort of lost interest because the remaining challenges were difficult and there were things I couldn't figure out. (Maybe I'm just a dummy?)

So, rent or buy, you ask. I say rent it first, as with most games. In my opinion, there's not a whole lot of replay value to it once you've beaten it, or if you can't beat it, you may just grow bored with it.

It's a good game, but not all that great.