Review by Vivox

Reviewed: 08/25/05

"Hope, is death."- Mr. Freeze

Vivox's Review of Batman: Vengeance

A few years ago this game came out and I never read of or heard anything about it. But then, this year, Batman Begins came out and I decided to buy this game for less than ten bucks and give it a whirl. The game is a action-adventure beat 'em' up based upon the WB cartoon show where you take control of Batman as he tries to solve the "hardest" mystery of his "career".

Story: One night Batman is just hanging around on a rooftop when he hears the laugh of the Joker coming from the chemical plant. Batman decides to investigate and finds a woman tied up... right next to a bomb that is about to explode! After Batman saves the woman, the mystery deepens as she claims that the Joker kidnapped her son Toby and is holding him for ransom. And to make things stranger, Bat girl finds out that the woman and her son have no record up until a few weeks ago. Who is this woman, and why is the Joker holding her son for ransom? The story leads Batman to face off against the Joker, Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy. The story is fairly decent, what you'd expect from a game based on the cartoon show. I found the "mystery" to be fairly simple to solve, and you should figure it out about 5 minutes into the game (I did). The Story gets a 8 out of 10.

Gameplay: The game is a action-adventure, meaning you collect keys and various objects and solve puzzles to advance. You also have to beat the crap out of anyone who gets in your way. The basic game structure is broken up with driving and flying missions which are fairly difficult (and may make you want to commit murder to your GameCube or your controller in frustration). You'll also face off against some fairly easy boss battles against various super villain's, but like I said, they aren't that difficult to beat. The Gameplay gets a 8 out of 10.

Graphics: The game does fairly well in this category. The game is based upon the cartoon show, and it looks like the cartoon show. They didn't go for anything "glitzy", just the look of the cartoon. I especially thought the cinemas were well done. The Graphics get a 8 out of 10.

Music/ Sound: The music in the game is what you'd basically hear if you watched a episode of the show. Pretty good, but nothing great. The sound is well done, as is the voice acting. The voice overs are actually done by the people from the cartoon show (including Mark Hamil as the Joker) and are all well done. The Music/Sound get a 8 out of 10.

Replayability: Depends on your preferences. If your a big "bat-fan" you'll probably play it two or maybe three times (the game is fairly short). If your like me (a casual fan) you might play it once and then never again. The Replayability gets a 6 out of 10.

Buy, or Rent?: Definitely a buy whether you like Batman or not, seeing as how the price tag is usually under ten bucks. So, this game is worth a buy if your a "bat-fan" or your just looking for a cheap action-adventure game to play.

This game is a pretty decent adventure for the Dark Knight. It's worth a play through, and I think it is one of the better Batman titles.