Review by The Killing Joke

Reviewed: 03/03/03 | Updated: 03/03/03

The best Batman game since The Adventures of Batman and Robin

...And Ironically, this game is also based off the (new) animated series.

This game has you play the part of Batman (of course) and you fight a little crime in your adventures. Your sidekick is none other than Batgirl. No Robin, no Nightwing, just Batgirl. They wanted to get rid of the ''kid'' element, so Batgirl is in place of Robin. There are only 4 villains in this game - The Joker, Harley Quinn, Mr. Freeze, and Poison Ivy. They could've done MUCH better than that if you ask me.

There's not much to the story, it's more just several mini-stories. I suppose they may all tie together, but the basic idea is still ''The villains are causing a ruckus! Stop them!''

The graphics look very nice for cel shading. It perfectly captures the look and feel of the animated series. Characters look exactly like they should, and they don't move like they have a huge stick rammed up their butt. The lighting in this game is superb. Truly impressive looking. The only reason the score's not a ten is because it DOES look exactly like the Animated series, and the characters on the animated series are fairly simple looking.

Dear lord, the music is perfect. It fits the game in every way imaginable. From the dark, looming sounds that play when you're sneaking around to the insane carnival-like music that plays when you're taking on the Joker, the music makes you feel as though you're really Batman. The sound effects are great as well. Punches actually sound like they're hitting something and you can practically feel the explosions happening. The voice acting is top-notch with the actual voice-actors from the animated series. Kevin Conroy takes his role as Batman/Bruce Wayne, and Mark Hamill takes his rightful place at the throne as the Joker. The sound is flawless.

Okay, the gameplay is a let-down. The fighting sequences are pretty bad, you can't jump when you get into a fight. It takes WAAAY too long to take out a common thug who should be taken out with the greatest of ease. In a fight, Batman can either punch or kick. Not much variety when it comes to fighting and it gets real old after the first few battles. The bosses are pretty tough. The Joker will make mincemeat outta you if you're not careful because he's one aggressive sucker in this game. Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy...well, you'll see. Also, it's real tedious to have only one button to cycle through my inventory with. I might go past what I need and then I have to cycle through it all over again. Also, going into first person to use my weapons is really lame. It's just not fun and the Batarangs don't even take out the crooks anyway.

Controls: 8/10

For what they are, they're responsive, I'll give them that. It sucks that I have to use one button for my inventory though. You press a button and the game will respond to the command instantly. It's an incredible concept that more games should look into.

Fun Factor: 7/10

It's a step in the right direction for Batman and DC games, but it's not the greatest game ever. I've played better. But, it's good for what it is and it's worth it if you love Batman like I do.

Replayability: 2/10

Once it's over, chances are that you're not going to want to go through this again.