Review by Jedinortdog1

Reviewed: 02/25/02 | Updated: 02/25/02

Not bad.....for a batman game

Batman has always been my favorite superhero. Everytime I got my hands on a game though, it was annoying. So you can imagine my apprehension when I heard about Batman Vengeance. It turns out that it wasn't as bad as the other Batman Games. It's not exactly the best game out there either.

Graphics: 8
The graphics in the game are actually pretty good. The game is based off the cartoon shows so don't expect a lot of detail. I did have a slight problem with some of the backgrounds. Some of the liquid is not very convincing. A little more detail wouldn't hurt. All the character animations are well done though.

Sound: 9
All the voices from the cartoon is in the game. Sometimes the sound is low especially when Harley Quinn talks. Matter of fact, I had to turn up the volume on my T.V. everytime I plugged in the game. Sometimes the thugs say dumb things while you are fighting them. They will taunt even when you are winning the skirmish.

Gameplay: 7
This is what brings the score down. The camera proves itself time and time again how irritating it can be. The C-stick allows you to refocus the camera behind Batman but sometimes it still doesn't help. There will be times that you must take a leap of faith. The fighting is very irritating. when you start a fight it kinda goes into a fighting game style fight. This really is nothing special. It is a little stupid when you go against multiple enemies because you can only fight one at a time. So the other guy just stands there and looks stupid. Even when they have a gun they won't try to shoot you while you are fighting someone else. I was hoping for more sneaking around and picking people off. At least lurk in shadows like Batman is supposed to do. Also, expect to die alot! This game will frustrate you to no end. If you like a good challenge and being frustrated, then by all means go for it. When you use items it goes into first person view. This works well and when you scroll through items you can hold down the R button to pause the action. Very handy!

Story: 9
Easily the best part of the game. You will be confused until the end. But really this is ok. The only problem is I started to wonder why I was doing a certain level. I wondered what relevance it had to the overall story. The end will answer you questions. Going through the game confused may turn people off from ever finishing.

Replay: 8
I want to replay the game so that I can understand what is going on a little better. I think this is a game that will be a little bit more enjoyable the second time around. I don't think I'll immediately go back to it though.

Actual Score: 8.2

Rent/Buy:
I would rent it first. If you are a Batman fan, I'm sure you will probably get it. For the more casual gamer renting would be a much better option.

This game was actually a surprise to me. Even though it has it's problems it's not enough to make me hate the game. It is most definitely better than any Batman game that came before it.