Review by Prismfan

Reviewed: 02/11/02 | Updated: 02/11/02

I was suprised how good this game was!

I went to the video store to rent this game because Nintendo Power had said it was really good. Knowing how games based on cartoons aren't always good I was cautious but when I played this game, I loved it!!

The reason I gave it 9 is because, though the graphics are good, I don't think they utilize the Gamecube's capabilities very much. However it is very easy to see what's going but the graphics also help set the dark mood the game has.

Sound/Music: 10/10

The music serves it's purpose, it get's the adrenaline pumping! When there is a mysterious event or mood the music fits the scene perfectly, however if there is an action scene then the music is going at a much faster pace, again it sets the atmosphere very well. As for sound nothing special, it's good, but there is nothing really worth mentioning.

Gameplay/Control: 9/10

The controls are very good contrary to what others may say. You select items with the R button and when an item is selected you go to first person view and use A to use the item and the Control Stick will allow you to move, while the C stick let's you rotate the camera. The third person view mode is nothing special. A button to jump, B to punch and C stick to move the camera behind Batman. When you fight a crook the camera automatically starts to rotate around you and B will allow you to punch while A will kick. The gameplay gives you a good feeling that you're living the Caped Crusader's adventure.

For a Batman game the story was excellent! It starts out very simple and evolves into something much bigger. You will be absorbed!

Difficulty: 10/10

When I say 10/10 I mean the difficulty was well balanced it started easy and progressively becomes harder. Same for the puzzles, their hard but not so hard that you'll run to a FAQ and throw your controller down. The puzzles are quite fun actually.

Replayability: 8/10

There isn't that much replayability but you can earn cheats to use the second time you play the game among other things, but this game could have been a bit longer. Not much but a bit.

Buy or Rent:

I suggest you rent it first and if you like it then buy it!

Great game but as in any other there were some things that could have been tweaked. Oh well, nothing's perfect!