Review by tombrady3to1

Reviewed: 06/10/13

One of the best reasons to own a gamecube.

Situation: It's the year 2013. The economy is sinking quickly. Money is hard to come by. You are a fan of the Resident Evil series and have not yet played this masterpiece of a game because you do not own a Nintendo Gamecube which can be found online for around 50 bucks. Looks like you have a little shopping to do.

Graphics 10/10

This game looks incredible. If you've played 4 on the GC, you know what to expect. Resident Evil 0, this, and 4 all look amazing on the Gamecube, and I could make an argument that those are in fact the three best looking games on the console. Shadows, fire, explosions, lightning/rain, zombies, everything in the game looks amazing and it really helps create that eerie atmosphere we need in the survival horror genre that has been so absent for a few years now. If you played the original on psx, the psn, the ds, the dreamcast, you'll be shocked as everything in the game has been completely redone from scratch and there are lots of brand new areas to explore.

Control 9/10

The game controls are what you'd expect if you've played any of the other third person RE titles, with the addition of a quick turn which turns you completely around so you can avoid whatever is in front of you easier. The controls feel like they have been refined and upgraded from the original game. It needs to be noted that there are defensive weapons you can find and if you're grabbed by an enemy, you will use one of these defensive weapons on the enemy automatically, provided you have one in your inventory. It's a really nice touch and is much better than just standing there helplessly being eaten.

Story 10/10

If you've played any of the Resident Evil games, you already know the story. It's hard to dive in and really get into the story without giving away potential spoilers for this title or other follow-up titles. To be brief, you wind up in a mansion and your objective is to A. survive and B. figure out what's really going on in this mansion.

Sound 10/10

This is right up there with the graphics. The game's sound, dialogue and graphical appeal really draw you in to what I personally believe to be the most frightening survival horror experience to date on ANY console. Footsteps in the distance, distinct zombie groans, lightning striking, it all works so well together that it makes you wonder why they still haven't remade RE 2 and 3. The dialogue on the original game was ridiculously humorous and has been greatly improved upon as has the rest of this masterpiece of a game.

Replayability 9/10

Believe it or not, there is a decent amount of replay value to this game. You can play through the game as one of two characters, each with their own unique dialogue and each with their own situations. As it was in the original, it is still much easier to play as Jill since you still get the lock pick and can open most doors without keys. On top of that, there are 3 costumes you can obtain for each character, and there's an invisible mode where all the enemies are invisible and there's a one dangerous zombie mode where there's a zombie who appears in random locations and if you shoot him, it's game over because he has dynamite strapped to his chest. There are also 3 difficulties to play on, but I'd recommend starting with easy mode even if you have played the first game, just to get a feel for the charges.

That's all there is to it. I'm not going to bother listing pros and cons because there really aren't any cons to speak of. I'm basically forced to give this game a 10 out 10 because if I don't rate this a 10, I'll never rate anything a 10. It's as good as a game gets. If you're a resident evil fan or just a fan of survival horror in general, this is a MUST OWN Resident Evil title. It's not an action game. It's survival horror the way survival horror was meant to be. I guess the only real con is that it is still a Gamecube exclusive, but before you spend 60 dollars on a new game on ps3/360, you should probably consider getting a gamecube AND this game, you'll spend the same amount of money and have one of the best gaming experiences of your life.

Product Release: Resident Evil (US, 04/30/02)