Review by YuukaAstrid

Reviewed: 05/30/08

"Time to turn off the lights and enter the nightmare!"

~-Story~-

The S.T.A.R.S (Special Tactics And Rescue Service) Bravo team... on the evening of July 24, 1998 in Raccoon City, where a number of grisly murders have taken place on the outskirts of town. Victims were attacked in their homes by a group of assailants, who left evidence of cannibalism. Local law enforcement sends in the S.T.A.R.S. Bravo Team. After contact is lost, Alpha Team is sent to find Bravo Team and continue the investigation. Alpha Team locates the downed Bravo Team helicopter, but there is no sign of survivors; only a severed hand is found. While searching the area for further clues, Alpha Team is attacked by ferocious dogs, one of which kills one of the team's members, Joseph Frost. Alpha's helicopter pilot, Brad Vickers, takes off and abandons the team. Pursued by the dogs who killed their colleague, Alpha Team is forced to seek refuge within a nearby mansion, believed to them to be abandoned.

With the dogs roaming outside, the four remaining Alpha Team members (Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield, Barry Burton and Albert Wesker) are trapped within. A gun shot rings out, to which the player & their chosen character investigates...At this part the game starts!

For me, in my own mind, I believe the story-line of RE (Resident Evil) 1 or formally known as the Resident Evil Remake, Has a suspenseful, realistic & great story! Which while in-folding more into the game, more twisting, confusing & shattering story-lines, plus events fold-out and make the game...One of the best story-lines!

So with in my in-sight...I will give the story-line a...

Ten out of a possible ten.

^Game-Play^

The Game-Play is likely one of the MAIN boosts for RE 1, First there is the defensive items that you can collect...(Stun Gun (Taser), Dagger & Flash Napalm), Instead of just letting any of the characters, use ANY of the items , they break it down to make more fun for the different story-lines (Jill & Chris), Jill (Stun Gun) & Chris (Flash Napalm), Chris & Jill can BOTH use a dagger or dagger(s), With the Flash Napalm, it may seem that you can only shove it in the zombies mouth but you can actually put it in a zombie or zombie related creature & then back up and shoot it, doing MASSIVE DAMAGE to whom, had the flash in their mouth!

Auto-Aim ah! Something that is sweet but sometimes goes unnoticed, With this shooting is SO much easier! Thank goodness for it.

Putting forward with the Super Zombie/Fast Zombie (Crimson Heads), While playing if you simply shoot a zombie...and go along with your way, it won't go away, it won't disappear...If you don't have just kerosene, then just burn! (Chris only), or Jill (With both a lighter & Kerosene) in the inventory, you can then burn a zombie & stop it from rising (About 20-30 minutes later) & being able to be stronger & faster then you! Adds a sense of patience, along with a touch of strategy, to dodge enemies & making the three-hour weapon reward crunch even just the more harder!

There is a door that breaks after a while, meaning you have to use it carefully, then when Barry decides to fix it later! Adds another vibe of reality and pressure!

Also with the auto-camera some MAY complain about it! But for myself, I think the challenge of NOT being able to see what is around a corner is awesome but the creatures being able to may be see you is great! and adds "tension", Also going back to Auto-Aim, Even though the camera angles can make you complain...Auto aim just throws that bad feed-back in the trash! The camera angles were perfect for me, besides a few pixel-lated moments (The outer zoom of where you face the mother shark)...Still not understanding the area? It's where you push the electric box into the water to fry her! before you go in is a really bad pixel view...But besides a few edgy moments, I believe the Game-Play, Auto-Aim, Defense Items, Auto-Camera & everything else game-play related, is perfect but just a little bit of the sweet icing on the cake!

With a great design...Fun game-play, etc. etc.

I shall reward the game-play area with a Nine out of a possible ten.

*Sound/Voice Acting/Audio*

With a chilling, creepy but beautiful music background, along with songs that seem perfect for the scene that it is pushed into...I would say you could never till there was music...It can be that realistic! Also adding up on the music...Sometimes the music tries to trick you, like with some/most games you will hear a scary or freaky music/noise when someone, something or when a bad thing is about to happen! What makes RE 1 different, is the fact that sometimes, they throw you off of your shoes, by putting creepy music into rooms with no enemies! So the music messes with your ears...The "Save Room" song...Is beautiful & when you are freaked out by the crazy music, this song calms the soul so that you don't have a heart attack! but keeps a sort-of of strange tone, that still some-how keeps you on your feet.

The sounds, Taking just the doors, when opening or closing a door, each door sometimes has it's own sound, which makes all the doors feel so realistic & different from each of the others! So when you are back-tracking, opening the same door, with the same sound...Won't be a issue! When shooting a weapon, the sound you expect to come from a weapon/gun comes true, with a realistic noise to it! (I remember when hearing a window crack---I was freaked out to death & jumped and the realness that it put!)

The voice acting was great...But with silly lines like the in-famous, "Jill Sandwich" & "Master of Unlocking", lines it can sort-of in a tiny portion take away, from the epic game! But voice acting in the remake is WAY better then the original...Anyone would know this!

Also some complain about the few zombie groans...Since there is tons of zombies...That it makes the zombies, boring plus cloned by the few noises they make! For me I never paid attention to that...But it can chip away after hours of playing.

Nine out of possible ten.

<Graphics>

With any game, a lot draws on the graphics it puts out...I can say with the RE 1 remake, that the graphics are GREAT! but can at times lack in certain fields/areas of the game or with-in a general problem...Most or all of the zombies are cloned or the same art, So it feels cloned (But for me, with all the deformation, wouldn't everyone look the same ugly way, anyways?), So that does not bug me...The 3D game, with already 2D backgrounds, are great! and can look pretty unique some-times. The blood and the zombie gore...The zombies spitting acid...You being hurt and or killed, the character models...The camera zoom ins & etc. etc. look very well done, thus making Capcom look like they put a lot of effort into making the game, which in turns makes people feel happy! There is nothing to complain much about the graphics...But a few little nick-picky things, but I will NOT get into things like that...To quickly wrap it up!

Ten out of a possible ten.

/Final Thoughts/

With this new re-make that was said to be "70% different" from the original...I would say Resident Evil 1 GC (Game Cube) remake...Is a great game, for all ages...all gamers...ALL people, with the huge story-line, plot moments, scary factor, great lighting, items, new options, sounds, unlockables, immense multi endings, replay that could keep people playing for years & little other things, I could have forgotten, I would save that this game is not just, "Good" or "Great", I would say this game is close or pretty darn close to being "Perfect" or a "Perfection"...And people should NOT rent this game but instead actually buy it straight away! This game is that well done, that it should not be taken lightly...Selling over 1.35 MILLION COPIES, This game will keep any and all on in their seats.

With a grand total of being a nine out of a ten!!

While you are at it don't you think it is..." Time to Turn off the lights and enter the nightmare!"

Product Release: Resident Evil (US, 04/30/02)