Review by aludlam

Reviewed: 06/03/04

A little nostalgia goes a long way. Not as far as a replayable game, though.

I recently revisited this game while at a conference for work. Given that most of my days were spent listening to people talking about science, my room was not equipped with a television, and I didn't have a good book at the time, I decided to give this one a whirl one night. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Rewind about ten years. T2 smashes records at the box office, and a plethora of terminator-themed merchandise comes plowing through stores. I got T2:Judgement Day as a Christmas gift, I think. I remember being aggravated at first, then amused, and finally impressed. I played it constantly until I finally beat it, and then I played it a few more times to "master" it.

Fast forward a decade. I'm sitting in a room, deprived for days of electronic interactivity. I whip out the old, faded cartridge, and start it up. It took me 20 minutes, total playing time, to get through it, after which I chucked it back in my bag and resumed my pokemon adventures. Not very challenging, even after giving my brain a decade to forget the game even existed. But enough story, lets review the game....

Story: See the movie. This is sort of a recreation of the movie plotline. I can't really score this, because its just taken straight off the movie.

Gameplay: This part is actually fairly impressive. A majority of the game is made up of side-scrolling shooting action. You play (sequentially) Jon Connor in the grim future or as a T-80 in the present. You walk, you can jump, and you can shoot. As a transition between characters, you are treated to a nice little mini-game, in which you have to toggle wire connections in order to activate your T-80 and send him back to save... yourself. There's also a level with the T-80 on a bike fending off a mac truck to mix up the action a bit. Overall, a very nice mix of gameplay elements.

Graphics: At the time, they were good. Not great, mind you. But considering what hardware the developers were working with, I think they pulled off a decent job.

Sound: Couldn't tell you, I turned it off so I could listen to NPR while I played. I do know there is background music, and the sound effects are well-placed. From what I remember, the guns all have different sounds to go with them, which is a nice touch.

Replay: Nonexistant. Witness the story at the top of this review - I played it as a teenager, I beat it, then I stuffed it in a drawer for ten years. It took a full decade for me to gather the interest to play it again, and even there, it was under extreme boredom and it only lasted twenty minutes. There is only one difficulty level, to my knowledge, and no bonus games or additional features. No hidden items, either. Once you see the ending credits, you've seen all this game has to offer.

Given that you'll have a difficult time renting this title, if you really, really want to see it, you'll need to buy it. I wouldn't advise paying more than five bucks for it, and even then, you've got to consider that the total play time of this game (once you know what to do and where to go) is very low.

To sum it up - a nice game for its time, but not enough replay nowadays to make it worth spending money on.